Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a totally stock 1984 4Runner 4x4 with 105,000 miles . I noticed the steering damper was leaking oil so I decided to replace it--looked simple! However, after removing the castle nut, I can not remove the taper bolt that attaches the damper to the tie rod. So far I have tried:
1. Liquid wrench, then hammer and punch to hit the bolt end--nope!
2. Propane torch to heat bolt, then repeat #1.--nope!
3. Tie rod puller like the "special service tool" shown in Toyota service manual--it deformed (mushroomed) the end of the bolt but did not move it.
4. Tie rod separator (pickle fork) and 8 pound sledgehammer--nope!

I am concerned about doing damage to steering components with more hammering. I am a scrawny old geezer but I can not believe that this bolt can't be removed--it is not rusted and the grease boot between the stabilizer and tie rod still had plenty of grease.

I have done a full search on this site and found nothing that I haven't already tried. Anyone have a new method for removing this bolt?? HELP!

Shields up! Fire for effect! :emb2:

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
well time for a new tierod, they are cheap to buy. and worth it not to fuck up the one you have now and have it break on the freeway or off road.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I used a torch on it for a WHILE after covering it in WD40, then took ice on put it on the bolt from the steering stabilizer, not on the tie rod. Then I took a BFH and beat on it. Popped out after a few hits.

Another one I just resorted to sawing off, then used ubolts to put on the replacement.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hold that 8lb sledge under the wide spot in the tie rod end where the tapered bolt passes through and use another hammer to whack the top of the tie rod end parallel to the tapered bolt and opposite the 8lb. Don't beat on the end of the bolt, it will never come out that way. If that doesn't work, pound that pickle fork in there and try hitting it again like I described. I always seperate tie rod ends and ball joints this way and have never had one I couldn't get to break loose.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Another solution, the right one!!!!

Marlin's High Steer Crossover Steering Kit - $399
Marlin's steering kit features superior quality billet CNC machined arms, heavy duty .250 wall tubing, FJ-80 tie rod ends, jam nuts and pitman arm. Fits 1979-1995 Toyota Pickups and 4Runners. FJ40/55/60/62 applications also available.
Part #CO-HS $399
IFS Mounting Kit $19
Good Used IFS Steering Box $150

·
Registered
201 Posts
$600 fix? Doesn't sound like the right choice to me, especially not for a "totally stock" truck. I've removed several of those, but always with the tierod off. I could easily support the tierod and beat on the bolt. I think if you firmly support the tierod (like with the sledge on a floorjack or something) you should be able to pop it out. Otherwise, the tierod will absorb all the impact.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
It takes a bit of work to get it apart at the tapered end , the above all work. I have soaked mine in liquid wrench for 3 days the 1st time I replaced mine and it still took 30 min to get it out, now I just run hysteer so I dont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for delay in my follow-up report--been out of town for a few days. I attacked that taper bolt with great hopes after reading the advice from molsenmuscle, et al. The bolt is STILL stuck. :mad: . Has anyone ever tried cutting off the bolt flush with the wide spot in the tie rod then drilling it out? Thanks for everyone's advice--well except for OOPS--nice hardware but my 84 doesn't have IFS and I don't have an extra $600 . :D .

·
Registered
544 Posts
In all honesty if it is that hard to get out, I would maybe just replace the tie rod end as well as the steering stabilizer as it is likely original equipment. Nah, that's bullshit, I would quit my job and make it my mission to get that son of a bitch out of there.:mad: If you feel real ambitious take the tie rod right off and set it on something hard like an anvil or the back part of your bench vise and smack the hell out of that wide spot or like you said, cut it off flush and try drilling it out from the narrow end of the taper. Did you try like suv said and support the sledge with a floor jack so it doesn't absorb the impact? If all else fails, I think the Rancho stabilizer kit, like Dave said uses Ubolts and a bracket instead of that tapered bolt for mounting.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
molsenmuscle said:
If all else fails, I think the Rancho stabilizer kit, like Dave said uses Ubolts and a bracket instead of that tapered bolt for mounting.
Yep, thats the one I've gots.

I just hacksawed it off flush and clamped the other one on there.

W/ my girlfriends runner I used the torch and ice method, worked pretty good.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
bubs said:

give it two or three hard swift taps on the bottom of that tab, then two hits on the end of the bolt always comes out with out to much trouble

no the photo is not mirrored:flipoff2:
.....And you put your left leg in and you put yout left le.......... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Heres how I did it!

I had one hell of a time getting mine out too. I used a pickle fork and a tie rod end puller. It was a pain in my ass but I got it off and my truck has 176,000 miles on it. OOOOO ya like everyone else says a BIG [email protected]!#ING HAMMER:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GOT IT!

:D After re-trying all the recommended methods (see thread) of removing my worn out steering damper, I realized that using a BFH to bang on my steering parts wasn't all that different from hitting the tie rod on a BFRock on the trail. So I decided to try the low tech approach: hacksaw & drill! as suggested by SR5Dave, Molsenmuscle and me. I sawed off the threaded part of the bolt flush with the tab on the tie rod, then sawed off the tapered part between the damper and the tie rod. I used a center punch to mark a drill spot on the small end of the bolt. I started drilling in the center of the bolt with a 1/8" bit and worked my way up to 3/8". Then I switched to a reamer bit and worked around the inside until only a shell remained--then it just fell out! The amazing thing is the smooth part of the taper bolt was very clean--no rust or pitting. I still don't understand why it could not be removed the usual way(s). Thanks to all for your input, encouragement, and taking time to help a Pirate4x4 newbie. Rock&Roll! :bounce:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts