Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody rent out their RV or trailer?

looking at doing a rental instead of buying one, seems to be ~$150/night for a trailer and ~$250/night for a class C.

well dang! almost enough to make it worthwhile to buy one even if it is only going to get used for a couple weeks a year.

flip side would be, buying one, then also renting it out for the other 48 weeks a year.

so i'm curious if folks have success using the various online rental places or advertising it yourself

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
With shit like rvshare i wouldnt buy a camper. The depreciation and maintence will kill u over time. U will have to do the math and see how many trips a year u take against the cost of owning.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I rented one for koh a few years ago, windshield was broke, tire were low, fan was broke, generator filled the RV with fumes.

Was at a campground in the smokies 30ft +/- Rv pulls in, I notice back corner with stuff dangling once parked,, person following in toad and driver are looking at it guess they miscalculated tail swing, gets better they hook up and go to dump the shitter, wrong order shit flying everywhere and on the guy with the hose.

Bronco event few years ago in Gore va , outfit offered to rent trailers , first day a few people were out of water and shitters were full, people had no idea what they were doing.

RV are constant maintenance, nice to have your own bed, unless you have a garage for storage they will weather real fast, and critters will make themselves a home.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Bad idea renting out....
RUN..
Think clist flakes.
Just my .02

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
I've seen what the Burning man crowd does to rented RVs up here (think black tanks strewn about the road) and no way would I rent anything out to strangers.

Trying to describe water, generators and black and grey tanks to some leftist from the Bay sounds like hell.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, that is pretty consistent feedback :laughing:

rental rates just seemed really high, looking at maybe 10 days this summer and getting ~$1500-3000 quotes :confused:

so maybe do a rental, maybe do a purchase but very likely don't rent one out or buy a previous rental :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
No fucking way would I rent out my RV. Its a older class A upgraded and setup for extended dry camping, and in near perfect condition. No fucking way would I let some asshole fuck it up for a few hundred bucks.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well in the interest of horrible life decisions, looks like i'm going to visit a couple 30 year old Class C in the $3-9k price range :homer: figure it's got to be about like looking at cars, depends on how they've been taken care of and what not, just with more water intrusion issues.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you look at what the transients are living in around here, its mostly old Winnebago's. Says a lot for their quality. Our first RV was a Winnebago. The body was built better than the current coach, which was made by National.

·
Registered
99 Posts
well in the interest of horrible life decisions, looks like i'm going to visit a couple 30 year old Class C in the $3-9k price range :homer: figure it's got to be about like looking at cars, depends on how they've been taken care of and what not, just with more water intrusion issues.
30 years ago (1990 +/- a year or two) was when Ford and Chevy switched from carbureted 3-speed to EFI 4-speed powertrains. And know that the model year of the box may not match the chassis.

Of course, condition rules. But I'd take an EFI / 4-speed if there's a choice.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
If you look at what the transients are living in around here, its mostly old Winnebago's. Says a lot for their quality. Our first RV was a Winnebago. The body was built better than the current coach, which was made by National.
Most of us also have much higher standards than the junkies living in clapped out motorhomes. Plus the op needs one that moves under is own power.

Op, I wouldn’t get one made before the late 90s, early 2000s so you get V10 or a vortec motor. If you do rent it out, get a black light so you can see if the renters had a Soup Kitchen.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Most of us also have much higher standards than the junkies living in clapped out motorhomes. Plus the op needs one that moves under is own power.

Op, I wouldn’t get one made before the late 90s, early 2000s so you get V10 or a vortec motor. If you do rent it out, get a black light so you can see if the renters had a Soup Kitchen.
They have to move around here. There is a city ordinance forcing them to move daily. The police even kick them out of Mission Bay Park from time to time.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i guess CV-19 means nobody wants to sell their shit at the risk of death :laughing:

that's alright though, talked to the wife about it some more and we're leaning more towards renting a couple or few times to try out some different stuff.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Personally I'd look for an E-series based class C. The beams hold up to that kind of weight and abuse much better than Chevy's A-arm crap. Sure they wear tires a little faster but that's a small price to pay for not pretzeling a tie rod or popping an idler arm on a dirt road in BFE.

Do yourself a very big favor and get a short one so when that 30yo body starts leaking like a sieve you can buy a van based bus to put it all in without changing the entire floor plan. The bodies on these vehicles are are simply not meant to last 30+yr. Like everything else in the world they can do so if they spend 99% of their time stored in a cool dry location but how many RVs you think that applies to?

Given the choice between a 30yo OHV motor in a van and a 25yo OHC motor in a van anyone who does their own wrenching would be smart to opt for the former.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
Personally I'd look for an E-series based class C. The beams hold up to that kind of weight and abuse much better than Chevy's A-arm crap. Sure they wear tires a little faster but that's a small price to pay for not pretzeling a tie rod or popping an idler arm on a dirt road in BFE.

Do yourself a very big favor and get a short one so when that 30yo body starts leaking like a sieve you can buy a van based bus to put it all in without changing the entire floor plan. The bodies on these vehicles are are simply not meant to last 30+yr. Like everything else in the world they can do so if they spend 99% of their time stored in a cool dry location but how many RVs you think that applies to?

Given the choice between a 30yo OHV motor in a van and a 25yo OHC motor in a van anyone who does their own wrenching would be smart to opt for the former.
Why? It’s a shitshow working on a MH or van either way and the V10 is probably less of a problem as long as it gets coils and plugs.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Why? It’s a shitshow working on a MH or van either way and the V10 is probably less of a problem as long as it gets coils and plugs.
The 460 doesn't require lifting the body for anything which is good because lifting the body on a motor-home is not really practical. Reliability is gonna be similar between 460 and V10 as long as you keep fluids in them. If you ever need to do an exhaust manifold gasket or fuck with the wiring harness on the V10 you're gonna be hating life but the 460 will be tolerable. Is it worth it for the extra power and +2mpg? I dunno, it's a tough call.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
i keep renting from outdorsy. 120 bucks a night for a 28ft RV setup for towing. for the limited times i need it, its worth it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
anybody rent out their RV or trailer?

looking at doing a rental instead of buying one, seems to be ~$150/night for a trailer and ~$250/night for a class C.

well dang! almost enough to make it worthwhile to buy one even if it is only going to get used for a couple weeks a year.

flip side would be, buying one, then also renting it out for the other 48 weeks a year.

so i'm curious if folks have success using the various online rental places or advertising it yourself
When I looked, those rates you posted were a steal. Buying our TT for $15K paid for itself in a season.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I looked, those rates you posted were a steal. Buying our TT for $15K paid for itself in a season.
that's kind of where we are heading.

if i get a class C, i'd like to get one that can two 7-10k lbs. something like that just isn't in the budget right now and i don't need it right now.

it would effectively be to replace my suburban to lug the trailer around, but just running to the dump or home depot with an RV instead of the truck sounds like a bit of a negative.

brand new TT are $17-20k for what we are looking at. financing :)eek: ) one makes the annual payment about 1week of rental, and rates are lower on new than used so there isn't much on the interest penalty side of things.

in 5 or 10 years, it might have half of it's value, but that would also be a good time to swap it out or keep it paid off.

apparently there is no practical difference between smooth side vs aluminum, so we are looking to end up with something that is no slide, 2 axle, bunk bed, murphy bed in the 21-26' box length.

paying a lawyer for a bunch of runaround bullshit it seems, i'll either be done paying him or done paying on my student loans :laughing: whichever comes first, just going to roll that money into a TT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, i’m also looking to rent an RV for a vacation week for 150 - 170 $ per day, my trip program is an RV ride all across California for a week, i had similar experience 2 years ago in Lviv, Ukraine in winter, i rented an RV for only 100$ per day from Rental Car in Ukraine - Budget & Best car hire | NarsCars and it was such nice and amazing experience which i want to do it again now but in the US because of that stupied Virus, all my vacation trips have been cancelled so the only way now is the domestic tourism. So any rent out please ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts