Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I just bought a 700R4 off a guy on this board, and when my buddy picked it up he noticed it has a crack in the bellhousing.

I am attaching a bunch of pics of it.

How big of an issue is this crack gonna be? Should I just drill out the ends of the crack and weld it shut? Should I tell the guy his tranny is totally useless and I want my money back? Should I ignore the crack and hope it never breaks completely free on me?

Thanks for any advice!

Mike

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
take it back to the dood... show him the damage and make him give you some cash back.... discoutn for fawked parts. Then take it home, drill, and weld.

Thats what i'd do anyway.......FWIW

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you got it cheap then don't worry about it. If he sold it as good to go then ask for some dough back.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Are you sure it is a crack and not a casting seam? I can't tell from the picture.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Looks like a seam from casting to me. Usually when alum cracks it CRACKS big time.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fj40charles said:
Are you sure it is a crack and not a casting seam? I can't tell from the picture.
those pictures are at about 20% resolution compared to what the guy emailed me pics of this morning. I am almost positive that it is a crack.

I will contact the guy about it. He described it as recently rebuilt, all super beefy components in perfect condition, never run.

Any recommendations on Rod to use when welding it? I have a TIG at home, will regular A356 be ok or is it some goofy alloy of alluminum?

·
pimping sparks&smoke
706 Posts
Drill out ends & Burr it out , and lay down some 5356. That filler is my recommendation since it is used on most all common aluminums for maximum strength- with the exception of 1100 series , and 3003 where 4043 would be the "strength" choice.
No worries you can do a sweet repair on it with no problems-bellhousings are cake!
HTH
Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts