Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the two batteries laid down- still works on one but need to replace- anyone been down the road? Considering Optima or odyssey as I intend to keep the truck a loooong time. Does Sam's still carry the Optima knockoff? My local battery shop owner is a tool- so I'd have to order if I got a primo battery.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just had to replace 2 Optimas..less than a year old..so I wouldn't go the Optima route..they don't have the required CCA for deisels

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ended up going with a Sam's club Energizer brand battery- rated for the truck , bolt in, 7 yr and $50 with tax- it's not like I'm running a big stereo or doing killer winch duty- replaceable at any sam's club.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
replace them in pairs or you will be replacing it again soon.

One thing I like about my old 1st gen is it just uses on large commercial sized bat instead of two automotive ones.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
andyr354 said:
replace them in pairs or you will be replacing it again soon.

One thing I like about my old 1st gen is it just uses on large commercial sized bat instead of two automotive ones.
I figured I'd just keep an eye on it- more warranty and pushed back cost is exactly that. I've had 1-2 yrs spread in boats regarding twin batteries failing.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I agree with replacing them in pairs. I worked at a NAPA supported garage when I did mine last winter, so needless to say I put NAPA brand batteries in it. My boss at the time who use to be a parts peddler for NAPA told me NAPA batteries are made by interstate, they're good batteries and I'm happy so far. I'd also suggest going to your local shop and having them put your rig on the Midtronics it's a electric charging and starting diagnostic tool that will tell you if your starter batteries and alternator are working properly, if you try the bigger "chain" shops you should find one to do this for free.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
I buy almost all my batteries from Costco, and have never had a problem. I will buy them at costco for my truck when needed as well... The exception was the last exide I bought from my dads shop... because the jeep needed a battery, and fast.

Scott

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Definitely replace them as a pair.

IMO Optimas are overhyped garbage, I've had 2 fail on me too.
I use Walmart Everstarts in everything, they last and have never let me down yet. For the price of one Optima, you get two Everstarts and maybe some lunch.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys- I am surprised at the seemingly majority outlook of replacing them as a pair- just don't see the need until the other lays down- you can hear the difference when turning the engine over- still starts fine and runs fine. Too each their own- maybe if I was going on trip to the boonies?

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Go2Guy said:
Thanks guys- I am surprised at the seemingly majority outlook of replacing them as a pair- just don't see the need until the other lays down- you can hear the difference when turning the engine over- still starts fine and runs fine. Too each their own- maybe if I was going on trip to the boonies?
If you replace one, it will QUICKLY go down to the level of the old battery, but hey, it's your money.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
ScottFJ40 said:
Definitely replace them as a pair.

IMO Optimas are overhyped garbage, I've had 2 fail on me too.
I use Walmart Everstarts in everything, they last and have never let me down yet. For the price of one Optima, you get two Everstarts and maybe some lunch.

Yep, those batteries are where its at. Stupid cheap sonofabitchs never die. The one in my wheelin YJ is exposed to the elements, I couldn't tell you the last time I checked the water level, use my 8274-50 frequently on it, and held down by bungie cords to-boot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do yourself and your truck a favor and replace the other battery now. The batteries should be as closely matched as possible; they can cause odd electrictronics problems, poor starting and overwork the alternator when they are not.

It is my understanding that Optimas do not last when there is high charging voltage; CTDs will run way over 14 volts in normal operation.

·
Registered
877 Posts
yep.... Optima's are GARBAGE. They are the BANKS of the battery world :laughing:

go Odyssey if you want an insane battery

·
Registered
759 Posts
There is a reason why you have to replace them in pairs, or fours if it is a big truck, or thirties if it is an EV.

A battery when it is at rest will have a set voltage. It differs from battery to battery and also varies on age and use. So your new battery may read 12.729 today when it is fully charged and the surface charge is gone. Two years from now it may only read 12.627 under the same conditions. This is normal.

Likewise you can even get two brand new batteries, same size, same everything. One might read 12.729 and the other 12.721. Doesnt seem like much, but it is.

Taking a quick look at how an alternator works: your regulator shuts off and measures the voltage present in your battery(s). Then it turns on full fielding the rotor for a given period of time to bring the system voltage up to a preset level, say 14.9 volts. it then shuts off and checks the battery(s) voltage again. If it is lower it turns on longer, if it is higher it turns on for a shorter period of time. It does or can do this up to 333 times a second.

So what happens when you have two batteries in a system that are not balanced is the alternator sees the average of the two batteries. Say you have one that is 12.600volts and one that is 12.900 volts, the alternator would see the battery voltage as 12.750 volts. Then adjust its output accordingly. But because the new battery is actually already at the higher 12.900 volts, the alternator will end up overcharging it by 0.15volts. On a regular basis that is not a good thing at all.

But the problem is further compounded when you consider that the weaker battery will never get fully charged, as it is seeing .15 of a volt less than it needs. So its at rest voltage drops, thus dragging the average down. So then the good battery gets charged even harder. The more it is overcharged, the more it will gas. The more it gases the more it loses its capacity. Eventually it fails. Since its plates are not sulfated as much the newer battery also tries to do the blunt of the work.

In 4 and 8 battery packs a new battery will last a month if you are lucky. Two battery systems it will sometimes last a lot longer, but I have seen it as short as two weeks.

This can also occur when you separate two batteries by a solenoid or manual switch, and primarily only use one battery. Very hard on the secondary battery.

EV guys who's life blood and biggest finacial investment is in their battery pack, will order a skid of batteries and then only take 20 (or how many they need) that are the closest in at rest voltage, checked to three decimal places. For them it makes the difference of the pack lasting 5-10 years and 2-3 years. After picking the best ones they return the remainder of the batteries. many large battery companys are ok with this arrangement as well.

As far as buying batteries from which company goes: if you support companys like Exide, Interstate, Delphi, Optima, good for you. I hope you like rice and beans as the more money you send off shore the sooner everyone in our two countries will be eating them as a mianstay. Hawker/Odyssey, East Penn/Deka, and a few others still employ American workers and use american and Canadian materials to manufacturer their products. So my thought is to give them as much support as you can. They are far superior products to boot too. (done ranting)

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Raaaayyyy- thanks fior the worthy post, I always respect more than a "just because" answer

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Go2Guy said:
Raaaayyyy- thanks fior the worthy post, I always respect more than a "just because" answer
You're a dumbass, I gave you a succinct answer, not a just because answer. :shaking:

Whatever, I hope you are stupid enough to just replace one. Then you'll be buying 2 more later. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ScottFJ40 said:
You're a dumbass, I gave you a succinct answer, not a just because answer. :shaking:

Whatever, I hope you are stupid enough to just replace one. Then you'll be buying 2 more later. :laughing:
once again you've earned your reputation:flipoff2:

forgive me if I got more out his page vs your one liner- given your reputation, it's usually a good idea to get more than your opinion-

please feel free to continue your name calling and wishing bad luck on other wheelers:shaking:

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Go2Guy said:
once again you've earned your reputation:flipoff2:

forgive me if I got more out his page vs your one liner- given your reputation, it's usually a good idea to get more than your opinion-

please feel free to continue your name calling and wishing bad luck on other wheelers:shaking:
You have quite the attitude too, I was trying to help you, but that's OK.

My reputation?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Find ONE tech post where I've ever given bad advice.:shaking:

Stand by your phones, I am sure I'll be ordering tons of stuff from you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: How can you sell Diesel performance and NOT know what the deal is with a 2 battery system, that curely instills confidence in potential customers.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scott- you did take time out of your day to try and help me- thanks for that. From recollection, you have decent tech depth on different subjects- good deal. But you can often fly off the handle with no provocation and get into a pissing contest over nothing. It does not suit you.

The reputation I referred to is that you often sound like a know it all and often attack people who share a different opinion than your own. I never said you were wrong, I was merely surfing replies I got- one stood out as very in depth and I learned from it. I thanked the guy for a very detailed response- you got your panties in a wad and launched your eloquent 2 cents which I quoted. If, in reflection, you think that was warranted and the right thing to do, so be it.

I get by doing what I do- I don't pretend to have all the answers- If I don't know, I try to learn from others. Peace and good luck with your ventures:)

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
Go2Guy said:
Scott- you did take time out of your day to try and help me- thanks for that. From recollection, you have decent tech depth on different subjects- good deal. But you can often fly off the handle with no provocation and get into a pissing contest over nothing. It does not suit you.

The reputation I referred to is that you often sound like a know it all and often attack people who share a different opinion than your own. I never said you were wrong, I was merely surfing replies I got- one stood out as very in depth and I learned from it. I thanked the guy for a very detailed response- you got your panties in a wad and launched your eloquent 2 cents which I quoted. If, in reflection, you think that was warranted and the right thing to do, so be it.

I get by doing what I do- I don't pretend to have all the answers- If I don't know, I try to learn from others. Peace and good luck with your ventures:)
No problem.

I didn't realize I sounded like a know it all, as a matter of fact, I try and make it a point to ONLY remark on things I have personal experience with. I also hate it when people chime in with "advice" because their brother's uncle's buddy told them.

I only noticed your panties slightly wadded, as evidenced by your "Raaaayyyy- thanks fior the worthy post, I always respect more than a "just because" answer"
Sounded a little whiney but hey, who am I to make assumptions?

Good luck with your batteries, and i will remember to withhold any pertinent advice when it comes to you from now on, since you think I don't know what I am talking about.

Jesus be with you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts