Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the ball joints in my CJ7. I just swapped in a D44 axle in the front. I can't get the damn thing off. :confused: I took the six little screws out of the hub (warn hubs), pulled the cover off and then took the lock ring off. Now I have no idea, I have been looking at the damn thing for over two hours now trying to figure out how to get it off. And I can't seem to do it. DOes anyone know how to do this? Any help would be appreciated thanks,

·
Registered
88 Posts
You took the lock ring off the axle shaft? Did you take the wire ring off from around the hub it self too? With my hubs I had to put a few screws back in to help pry it out, the case was dinged up pretty bad.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
I will ASSUME that this is the problem just as Cracked Skull mentioned...

There should be an outer ring that fits just inside of the outer part of the wheel hub...really, it looks just like a thick wire ring with a split in it and that ring keeps the inner half of the locking mechanism from coming out...a small screwdriver or pick set will pop it right out. Then put one or two screws back into the hub piece and pull it out.
Just a question, not an accusation of stupidity...If you did not know enough about hubs to take them apart, are you confident about doing the ball-joints? You don't want to make mistakes there. Again, not bashing you or calling you stupid as we all have to learn...just want to make sure you are not making a choice you will regret.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
get a book. It took me a bit to firgure out the hubs on the 44, coming from the 30. but they are right about the other wire/ring holding the hub in and then putting a coupld screws in to pull out the rest of it. Did you get the wierd looking socket to take of the hub nuts? you can get them off with out it, but its a bitch to put them back on without it.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will take a look at it today when I get off work. And you are all probably right, because I saw that fat ring. I just couldn't see how to get it off. I tried getting at it with screwdriver and a pick but I couldn't get it. I will try again today. I've replaced my ball joints before, but is was on the D30. It was pretty easy, but this D44 is new stuff to me. Here is a picture of my project so you can see what your helping me out with. JEEP CJ7 :D
Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
88 Posts
before you put everything back together, grind a little grove in the case so you can fit a flat screwdriver under that wire ring. It'll make it a little easier the next time you need to change out that hub.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it off!!! I was looking in the wrong place for the ring. It is on the outside of the hub casing I was looking on the inside (where the lock ring was, no wonder I couldn't find it). Once I found it, it took like 2 seconds to get it off. Thanks for the help guys. Now that I know where the ring is I feel stupid cause it was so easy to take off. Thanks again for the guidance and putting up with a newb question,
-Brandon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts