Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am replacing the ball joints in my 1985 5 blazer. I got the ball joints out but i can not seem to get the new ones in. one might say well do what you did but in reverse but my geniuse friend cut them with a torch :shaking: so if any one can help then please describe how to do this thanx

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
this is all you need

you can get them rather cheap and they save you alot of work and damage youll do cutting them out with the torch

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
this is all you need

you can get them rather cheap and they save you alot of work and damage youll do cutting them out with the torch
yep.

you can rent them at autozone for free... just have to leave $100 for a depost but you get it back when you bring it back. makes crap so much easier.

also a tip. grease that upper ball joint before you put the knuckle back together and take out the grease fitting and put the cap in its place, your not going to be able to grease it once the drive axle is in there. ive learned that the hard way

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That press is only like $30 at Harbor Freight, I love mine. I helped a guy replace a U-joint at Grayrock ORV the other weekend with mine and he said he was going to buy one of those before he went wheeling again, he liked mine so much.

We also used it one day on a guy's rig where he ripped the trackbar off and it bent the brackets outward. We put a socket in between the brackets to keep from pressing them too close together. That thing is the champ. It'll do U-joints, balljoints, probably even tierod ends (though I haven't tried that yet).

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
rented that from autozone and it wouldn't work with my ball joints on my 44, didn't have the right size collar piece
and thats why you get some creative brains and go get a piece of tubing or a socket or something....? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
rented that from autozone and it wouldn't work with my ball joints on my 44, didn't have the right size collar piece
it must have been bent or missing a piece cause ive rented that thing a few times and borrowed one from a friend to do my 10 bolts. just used one for a set of 44 knuckles earlier this year

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
i used to do the joints in my 78 f150 with that. it isnt hard to find a socket or something to use if its an odd size

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok here it goes step by step on what i learned

1: remove wheels
2: remove calipers
3: remove 6 bolts that hold on spindle assembly and the dust/mud cover
4: remove bearing assembly. Free hint go get the spanner wrench/socket
5: remove axels
6: use pickle fork (better know to the retards at autozone as ball joint seperator
7: use press or brass hammer to install new ball joints. Free hint if you use the hammer dont be a fuck-tard and wail on it
8: Just like our good friends at chiltons say reverse the process to put your rats nest backtogether
and one last free hint since you got your shit all tore down replace the bearings and races and bearing seal while your at it. dont forget to pack grease in everything when you put it back together

If i missed anything please add

1 - 10 of 10 Posts