Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying my damnedest to make the best possible use of my attached 2-car garage (20'x20' with an extra 12'x6' section punched out of the back wall), and have recently turned my attention to roll-up garage doors for several reasons... They won't block lights when open, insulated options are available, and so on.

Does anyone here have a domestic US source for residential roll-up doors, or any thoughts on them? I've only found suppliers out of Canada, and the last quote I received was ~$2700 USD prior to shipping.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
_irate4x4 com
1,861 Posts
Make one of those hangar style bi-fold doors that turn into an awning when open.

Also, could you show pics of your 12x6 foot "addition" please.

Edit: Oh, and HA HA for bitching about having to buy something from another country. Welcome to my world. At least your dollars are getting exchanged in the right direction. Try buying a hammer drill on ebay from some douchebag in Floriduh that won't ship to Canuckistan.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I hadn't thought about the bi-fold route, but given how many half-finished projects I have throughout the whole house, I'd like an off-the-shelf solution.

Don't mistake my statement for bitching. At this point I only want to find a domestic comp for the sake of saving money on freight and any applicable taxes. No beef here with the Canucks, eh? :flipoff2:

Oh yeah, and here are a couple pics from a while back... One is a shot shortly after I bought the house and dumped a bunch of crap in it, and the other is a SketchUp rendering I did to mock up ideas (although I believe this is from an early revision of it in which I made it smaller than real life):

The garage has been largely demo'd and filled with more BS since then, and is effectively useless to me until I can empty it and finish all the wiring, insulation, and sheetrock.

There are a total of 9 light boxes for 4' LED light fixtures, one of which is over the 12x6 area in the back, the other 8 evenly spaced throughout the garage. A flush-mount ductless mini-split AC cassette will be installed smack in the middle of the garage where the current opener hangs. I already purchased a LiftMaster 8500 a while back in anticipation of keeping a traditional garage door (it raises and lowers the door via the counter-balance shaft, eliminating the overhead opener), but had the roll-up revelation a few days ago since it wouldn't block the 4 lights closest to the garage door whenever it's open.

Also, being the over-analytical SOB that I am, one of the parts of garage shelving and storage design that I *loathe* is trying to figure out what to do with the spaces outside of the garage door tracks near the ceiling. I know it's only about 20 wasted cubic feet overall, but it still annoys the piss out of me. Roll-up doors avoid that.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Around here there are always 1-2 companies hawking them on CL. May want to check with a local metal building company. While they may not stock the residential ones they may be able to order you one.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The sheet doors suck, they are thin and the insulation is poor. If you buy a reputable brand (dsi, Jan door etc) then they aren't super bad but they aren't much to brag about.

If you want a coiling door, I'd get a rolling steel but they aren't cheap and cost more when the spring breaks. They are pretty unsightly as well.

Mount some fluorescent lights to the door and plug them in when it's open. Put plugs where the cord will reach when the door is open.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
_irate4x4 com
1,861 Posts
The sheet doors suck, they are thin and the insulation is poor. If you buy a reputable brand (dsi, Jan door etc) then they aren't super bad but they aren't much to brag about.

If you want a coiling door, I'd get a rolling steel but they aren't cheap and cost more when the spring breaks. They are pretty unsightly as well.

Mount some fluorescent lights to the door and plug them in when it's open. Put plugs where the cord will reach when the door is open.
That's actually not a bad fawking idea. You would need line up the receptacles so when you roll the door down still plugged in, they can unplug themselves, instead of being damaged.

Better yet, rig up a cord off to one side that you wouldn't have to unplug it (or use an electric cable reeler).

It would be really, really nice to use the lights when the door is down as well, since sidewards light really helps when working under vehicles.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have a roll up sheet metal door on my garage. When the PO remodeled they turned the back half of the one car attached garage on my house into a second bathroom. The left over garage was no longer deep enough to use a real garage door.

It has been nothing but problems. It pops out of the track if you don't pull straight up in the middle. It's hard as shit to open when its cold out. It's super noisy. I hate the damn thing.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had lights all over in my old garage and the door was usually closed at night to keep the bugs out so it never bothered me. The garage in this house is small so the door stays open more and I'm getting annoyed with the blocked light. When I replace the door I'm going to mount a light to it and an outlet. Might use a cord reel or some thing but I haven't thought that far ahead. May not even happen at this house.

Old house had 5- 100 watt bulbs and I added fluorescent lights about 3' up the wall on the back side. Painted it all white so it was plenty bright. This one is small and cramped.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Two types of coiling doors, one uses a single 20g-22g sheet and other is made up of individual interlocking slats. The cheap ones are sheet style and junk. The insulation on them is a foil bubblewrap. The interlocking slat type can have foam filled slats and rubber seals, roll nice and are a good sturdy door. They are not cheap though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Integrated Openings Solutions offers Roll-up Garage Doors - I'm not sure if they offer residential solutions or not. But it says that they offer a wide range of sectional / roll-up doors for businesses and facilities, so it'd be worth asking.

IOS has 8 different locations throughout the US including St Louis, Kansas City (Overland Park and Olathe), Ft Lauderdale, Huntsville, Naples, Springfield, and Tampa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts