Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI, the County will be restricting travel across the Rubicon River Bridge at Rubicon Springs on August 20th starting at 10:00AM for the purpose of re-building the bridge deck and approaches. The bridge will re-open on August 21st as soon as the work is done. Essentially as soon as the tearoff starts, there will be no travel across the bridge until the repairs are completed.

I know this is a weekend, and that is because the labor force to do the repairs is all volunteer, so this is when they are available. El Dorado County Parks is providing the materials, and RTF is providing tools and food.

We are trying to let folks know ahead of time so they can adjust their travel plans AMAP.

Fire away!

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI, the County will be restricting travel across the Rubicon River Bridge at Rubicon Springs on August 20th starting at 10:00AM for the purpose of re-building the bridge deck and approaches. The bridge will re-open on August 21st as soon as the work is done. Essentially as soon as the tearoff starts, there will be no travel across the bridge until the repairs are completed.

I know this is a weekend, and that is because the labor force to do the repairs is all volunteer, so this is when they are available. El Dorado County Parks is providing the materials, and RTF is providing tools and food.

We are trying to let folks know ahead of time so they can adjust their travel plans AMAP.

Fire away!
Why was this weekend chosen, knowing fully I (JKO) had a Run posted and on the calander since February? I see the following weekend is completely wide open....

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
11,307 Posts
Maybe more like we have been CONned ;) I understand the greater good, and that the bridge definitely needs to be addressed. I am glad that RTF is stepping up and making it happen, and a lot of people have volunteered to help; it takes logistics, $$ and manpower.

At the same time, if putting the time ahead on the calendar and planning is worthless this is something that needs to be rethought. A reach out to the parties taking the time to inform on the calendar needs to be better adopted for better handling disconnects. Heck, could have even helped getting more volunteers that are planning to be in the area anyways. My $02 cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might not believe this but everyone who runs the Con doesn't frequent PBB. I know shocking. For some reason I have known about this for months and months. Maybe instead of complaining people should get involved.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
Why was this weekend chosen, knowing fully I (JKO) had a Run posted and on the calander since February? I see the following weekend is completely wide open....
Have you even tried to heard cats? That's what it's like planning a volunteer weekend. Lining up schedules, food, planning, materials is a nightmare and someone always complains.
Getting people to use their vacation time to perform hard labor with the only reward being their love for the trail and sport is a dauntless task.

I agree with Baggy, if you have a run planned that weekend, get your crew up there and make a difference. If 20 people pitch in just 1 hour, that's 20 hours of labor!

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the inconvenience to you and your trip. I know you will have to re-think your plan because of it and for that I apologize.

The reason this weekend was chosen? Pretty simple. We have a volunteer Trail Boss working with volunteer cook leader, volunteer wood group supervisor, volunteer concrete group supervisor, and a club that has stepped up with 20+ volunteers and this was the weekend they came up with during the initial meetings.

So the answer is, "Because this was the weekend they could all make it".

Again, apologies for any inconvenience. FWIW, it has been posted here, on the RTF website, and on the County website since May 11th, 2016. When you left the info for your JKO run, you only left your Pirate name and I reached out to you via PM on My 10th. I feel like I did my best to inform, but was unable to contact you. Again, sorry!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The trail maintenance is way more important than one persons' personal trail run. Trail is open 5-7 months. Pick another weekend or go help, or go in Loon and don't go up Cadillac.

As you stated the next weekend is wide open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry about the inconvenience to you and your trip. I know you will have to re-think your plan because of it and for that I apologize.

The reason this weekend was chosen? Pretty simple. We have a volunteer Trail Boss working with volunteer cook leader, volunteer wood group supervisor, volunteer concrete group supervisor, and a club that has stepped up with 20+ volunteers and this was the weekend they came up with during the initial meetings.

So the answer is, "Because this was the weekend they could all make it".

Again, apologies for any inconvenience. FWIW, it has been posted here, on the RTF website, and on the County website since May 11th, 2016. When you left the info for your JKO run, you only left your Pirate name and I reached out to you via PM on My 10th. I feel like I did my best to inform, but was unable to contact you. Again, sorry!
Thanks for the response, I just needed everyone who was commenting to me to see the reason first hand. We won't be going to the Springs at all this year....unless you guys some how finish and open the bridge at a decent hour Sunday. That will be only to pass through....We've got HAM radios and a small group will be at the Springs Friday. Good Luck and thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One persons' personal trail run. Pick another weekend
Not my "Personal Run" I never post those!! :shaking:

Another Weekend?! I picked my weekend back in Febuary, why would I change it the week before:flipoff2:

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just saying.....I respect what is being done.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We've got HAM radios...
If you come to a decision point and need to know the status, someone working at the bridge site will be monitoring the Rubicon ham repeater most of the time. Call us and find out the status! When we get the bridge open, I'll put the word out to Mid Trail Staff via the ham also.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Planning a top down trip the following weekend. What are the chances of this bleeding over?
Not likely. We feel like we have planned this to death and we really should have it done, or at least useable by Sunday sometime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where is the Rubicon River Bridge? I have a map with POIs 1-50, but this bridge isn't listed. Can somebody point out the nearest marker? Rubicon Springs is listed as #34, is it near that?
thx!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts