Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to run 11.00R16 Michelin tires on my 1982 chev 4x4 dually crewcab and can get the tires worn-out(worded funny). I would like to get them retreaded and run them. I have two new tires to run on the front and the retreads will only be on the rear. What should I be aware of before doing this and is this even a good idea? Why or why not? Anybody ran something like this before?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Most of those Michelins can be regrooved instead of retreaded...
what do you have? XL,XZL,...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Where the fawk can I find these damn XL's? Ultimately looking for the XML, but can't find any and I've been searching for awhile.

·
Registered
358 Posts
how do you regrove them, by hand or at a big rig truck tire shop? I have a set and would like to regrove them for my tow rig. What should i expect to pay per tire, thanks Tony

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I am definitely interested in finding out how the military regrooves their tires. I have seen some that were regrooved in a surplus yard. They looked like they were done on some kind of CNC machine. There were little lines in the rubber like it had been flycut off. The regroove was perfectly uniform.

I have some 16:00R20's that I want to open up to double tread depth to reduce weight, and increase tire flex. I understand that you can go about 1/2" deeper into the void area, not including the wear band.

Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts