Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearing the end of my "restoration" of the Defender, cleaning up the interior so the yuppie-type that will likely buy it won't balk too much. And I'm discovering all over again how much I'd rather be playing underneath than inside the vehicle.

Now I'm on to retrimming the seat box, since my original vinyl covering had a nice gaping hole on the lower corner. And I have a few questions for any that have touched this before:

1) Any adhesive recommendations? Foam-backed vinyl and painted metal don't typically like to stick together. I have some "Amazing Goop" that has worked decently in the past, and some 3M adhesive squares...

2) Dealing with the e-brake. I know I am going to have to remove it, but can't find any diagrams to give myself an idea of what exactly I'm up against with it. As of yet I have no experience with the emergency brake other than using it, and I'd prefer to keep this "retrim the seat box" project from becoming a "figure out how to reassemble the emergency brake" project. Are the nuts on the other side captured? What can I safely remove without having a random spring or something pop out? Is there any order I need to proceed in?

·
Registered
183 Posts
3M makes some adhesive especially for interiors. There is also a 3M spray adhesive "77" that works like a super contact style adhesive.

·
Registered
660 Posts
spray splooge adhesive

The 3-M 77 is good stuff, but let it set up a bit. Like Busto wrote - it acts like/is contact cement, so needs to set a bit to act right. otherwise it'll goober out when you press down on the part/vinyl and also won't stick real well. Beware where you spray it - it sprays out in a spatter type pattern. If I were to defile my 109 with all the trim I spent hours pulling ou, I'd stick it with the 77.

Simon

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So tonight after feeding the dog and zoning out for a bit, I went outside to play with some tools, and ended up disconnecting the e-brake. No big deal, though it did require some crazy logistics to put wrenches on the two bolts on the underside of the vehicle.

Makes me think I need a helper monkey to hold wrenches for me :rolleyes:

Now, how do I get the actual brake line out of the handle assembly and bracket? I've pulled the hold pin, but it has some wicked-huge grommet setup. I tried messing with the threaded length immediately behind the bracket - but unthreading that basically just pulled the line hard against the grommet.

There has got to be some way to do this that makes sense (or maybe not - its a Land Rover) that I'm missing.

Help?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, Texas...must have heard it in a movie or something...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Matt,

One sugguestion is to remove the cubby box and the tranny cover. It isn't too hard and will give you excellent access to the brake assembly and makes a two man job a one man job.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be removing it tonight for the retrimming anyway - too hard to get access otherwise. I've been sort of working my way around, starting with the seatbelt bracket.

But it doesn't really solve my issue of how to get the brake cable out of the handbrake assembly.

The main point of all of this is to have a totally flat surface with nothing I need to work around for the mounting of the trim piece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts