Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you want an interference fit when you press the tubes into the axle, How many thousandts larger do you want the tube, I will have a 12 ton press to assemble and the ablilty to heat and cool the parts to make assembly easier.

Seems like I read somewhere the TERA only goes 5 thousandts bigger and heat the housing and it falls right in,

Suggestions? And no thats the biggest press I have available.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I can mearsure my 60 tubes at home if you want me to.

the welds were drilled out on a mill, and I pressed the tubes

out myself with a 50TON press.. it took all of that 50ton to

get them out BTW.

the housings were: 3.0625 I'll measure the tubes tonite,

and report back manana....

--with only a 12 ton press, you're gonna need to freeze the

tubes, and heat the housing.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
TPIJeep said:
I know you want an interference fit when you press the tubes into the axle, How many thousandts larger do you want the tube, I will have a 12 ton press to assemble and the ablilty to heat and cool the parts to make assembly easier.

Seems like I read somewhere the TERA only goes 5 thousandts bigger and heat the housing and it falls right in,

I read the same thing, tro that punkin in your oven while your tubes are chillin outside.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to have to hone the housing a bit to clean it up, sorta galled a bit when the tubes came out, I have a crankshaft turning machine I will mill the tubes down with, just not sure how much to mill !

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You need an accurate measurement on the bore of the housing, with .005 interference fit you will have around 10 to 12 tons press fit. I like 16 to 18 tons, .006 to .007 fit with an internal support inside the housing. And don't forget the bead of silicon inside the last 1" of the socket on the press fit or it may leak oil. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have done a few and if I remember correctly I left a .003 to .005 press. heat the housing ,freeze the tubes and it will take very little pressure to install.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
measured 2 different 60 tubes from my collection. both were

3.0700 so with the housing at 3.0625, that's only a .0075

interference.

--when these were seperated, it took all of my 50ton press to

do the work. even then, the press frame and table were still

flexing a bit. I kept coaxing* the housing/tube with a BFH to

help shock it a bit. once the initial "POP" happened, it was

easy after that. There were silicone traces al the way inside

the bore of the housing. so, I'd use the orange silicone, with a

bead on the very end of the tube, (smeared around a little with

your finger) and then press the tube.

Are you planning on using any type of inside-guide to make sure

it all goes together straight?

the other thing about modifying these axles (front axle use only)

is the inner axle seal. if you have shortened the axle tube, the

inner seal must have a relief cut into the axle tube for the new

seal to fit into. I'm making a fixture right now to hold the 60

tube from the outer end (with the "C" on it) in the lathe to do

this. we'll see how it works.

--good luck.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If I have had the time in the past, I have put the tubes in the freezer overnight. Heat the housing up to about 150 -175(thats a guess). .005-.009 tube oversize drops right in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We just got done pressing in the tubes on my Tera 60. We used 3" .5 wall DOM. I called tera and talked to the guy that presses in all of their tubes and he said that he never uses heat. Well first attempt: with the tubes cold (MN winter) and the housing warm did not go very well with a 50 ton press. Tubes ended up needing to be machined down a bit then the pressed in but still VERY TIGHT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts