Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about replacing my 30 up front and would like to go full width. Problem is i'm pretty happy with my 8.8 and would hate to spend the money to build a new rear too. Do you think it would be pretty easy to just retube and get new shafts. i think some fullsize ford 8.8's were at about 63 1/2 wms to wms. could i get some parts from one of these? if so, what truck would it mostly likely be found on? any ideas?

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
8.8 is crap, ive seen a bunch of crushed tubes on these. your better off with a 16 spline 60! jiMMy

·
Registered
824 Posts
you could probably sell your 8.8 for the price it would cost to find a full width 9" or similar.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Go get yourself a full width Dana 44 and a full width 8.8". The full width 8.8" is cheaplike Kool Aid, just pennies a glass. Then transfer over your gears and locker and sell your current 8.8". That way you will be able to do the swap with the least amount of cash outlay.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
man get an 8.8 out of a f150 or bronco from the late 90's, slap your gears & locker in it, then get a D44 from a 78-79 bronco f150.

You wont have more than $2-300 in the axles, then rebuild & install. Get some hummer rims recentered for the 5x5.5 and decent back spacing to keep the width down for WV roads. throw some 36-38's on it & pray you dont break axles. :flipoff2:

off topic------
We took the bikes to Ivy saturday & rode, that place is cool, we gotta hook up with the Yota guys down there & hit their rocky creek beds.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I could probably find you a 9-inch for $50.
I have a complete 3rd, it's 31 spline, open, and almost new.
I also have a set of 31 spline axles out of a f150.
All you need to do is come up with a housing, 9-inches are a dime a dozen, good strong rear ends too.

I was planning on changing to the open with a lock-right, but bought the zuk instead.

Let me know if you need parts, or want a complete rear.
Tons of cars also have 9-inch rears, different widths.
But the spline count is different, I think 28.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i like the idea of getting a full width 8.8 and 44. does a fw 8.8 have disc brakes? if not i could just use the stuff i got right? killer. SilverZuk, got any of these axles or know where one is? this could be alot easier than i thougt.:D

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
You could probably use your calipers & weld new caliper brackets on the full width 44. But 99% are drums. You would definately need new rotors because the full width are 5x5.5 bolt pattern & the explorer ones are the stock YJ 5x4.5

There is a Ford junk yard in Miller OH, 11 miles from HUntington. He only wants $350 for exploder axles, so the Full size is probably cheaper. I think i have the number at the house, if i dont, i know dad has it. Its called Adkins Auto parts, he probably has the front 44 you need too.

Your best bet would be the ad bulletin, there are always old ford parts in there.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
MossMan said:
i like the idea of getting a full width 8.8 and 44. does a fw 8.8 have disc brakes? if not i could just use the stuff i got right? killer.
The disc brakes will bolt up. You will have to re-drill the rotors for 5 on 5 1/2 but that's no big deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts