Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm really hoping someone who's much more knowledgeable with Toyota's than myself can spare a few minutes to give me a hand. A while back, I received a 1985 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4 as payment for a debt from a friend (long story that cost me quite a bit of money). I'm a Nissan guy, so I'm just beginning to wrap my head around what was stock and what wasn't on an '85. It has All-Pro crossover steering, unknown leafs, unknown lift shackles, front shock hoops, rear shock carrier hoop, and swaybar disconnects.

So, I need to revert it back to as close to stock height and ride quality as I can. I'm not able to hop in a cab that tall (injuries), and I like the truck enough to keep it instead of selling it and buying another. It also rides horribly right now and shakes as bad as a wooden roller coaster over bumps (well beyond what leaf-springs should).

Are there any aftermarket companies that I can cobble together near to stock parts from? Also, taking into consideration the modified shock setup front and rear, can I go to Bilstein and get custom length shocks that won't cost me terribly? Finally, if I want to keep the crossover steering, what is the minimum lift if any needed to run it (I was thinking OME leafs and stock length shackles)?

Thank you for any help. I really like this truck, but without giving it a fresh (and much lowered) suspension facelift I won't be able to keep it.

Edit: Pictures can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yblpry7bxal0l5n/l6WQGFF2bs

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Where are the pics nancy?

I'd say trade it to someone who can actually use it for what it's meant for... and you get to keep their 2 wheel drive Toyota. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Link to pictures added to first post.

The reason I don't want to sell it is that it just had a new built 22RE with all the bells and whistles that ran $4100 installed (have reciepts). It also has 121K miles. So, it's got tons of life left, and would be a real shame to go bang around on the trail.

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Error 404 on link :confused:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Looks like a great truck. A local guy here in Houston built a hydraulic rock slider that went up and down to get him into his rig.. Maybe that's a good option for you if you can't get up there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Build some rock sliders, and then a stepladder to get inside the cab, that you can then flip up for wheeling. Also seeing as it's an 85 you're probably not missing out on much in the ride quality department.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
You can leave the shock hoops. Just after lowering the truck buy accordingly appropriate shorter shocks. Sell the shocks to buy new shorter ones...
Are there any numbers on the leafsprings. Once you identify those you can start searching for lower ones. It looks like your could shorten the shackles by redrilling them and cutting off the excess. How much clearance do you have from the highsteer to your frame, oil pan etc

·
Registered
542 Posts
where ya located? I have a pile of stock parts I will trade ya... springs, j arms, shocks, shackles and what not... all off a super low mileage (17k) solid axle truck that I have been savin in my back yard for a special occasion

it looks pretty well built all in all, do tighten those bolts tho

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
very nice truck. it seems he wants to have it close to stock to have a nice little tuck to ride around in (appreciate a toyota for being a toyota), so people who say sell it to someone who would appreciate it is ignorant. obviously he appreciates it or he would just sell it off and let someone destroy it. again man nice truck hope you get it how YOU want it NOT the way others want it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The bolt on the shackle in the last photo looks like it is going to fall out. If all of them are like that, that could explain some of the crappy ride. Tighten them up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
very nice truck. it seems he wants to have it close to stock to have a nice little tuck to ride around in (appreciate a toyota for being a toyota), so people who say sell it to someone who would appreciate it is ignorant. obviously he appreciates it or he would just sell it off and let someone destroy it. again man nice truck hope you get it how YOU want it NOT the way others else wants it.
Thank you, that's exactly spot on. I keep my trucks for a long time, pending the unfortunate stealing or totaling. The reason that I took this truck in repayment is that shortly beforehand my first-year pristine 1986.5 Nissan Hardbody was totaled, and I had fond memories of a '94 Toyota I owned long ago (3.0 gave up the ghost at 191K). The interior is in incredible condition (minus the seats), and it has also always been a California vehicle, thank goodness.

On to the update. I was fortunate to have a 'friend of a friend' familiar with Toyota trucks come to my house and look it over. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow, but the what he found was:

1. The lift looks like it was cherry-picked from a few different manufacturers. All-pro Hysteer, unknown company front shock-hoops with reinforcement, unknown company rear long-travel shock mount similar to http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suspension/526315-toyota-rear-shock-mount.html, Bilstein 5100's, unknown brand of aftermarket leafs and what appear to be TG extended shackles. Also has the other touches (stainless lines, front sway-bar quick disconnect, etc) and a custom anti-wrap bar for the front axle that he said looked custom and well done.

2. It has an 86+ rear axle with spacers in the front. The front axle has (2) caster wedges installed, and the rear has (1). Both rims are a pretty shallow backspacing.

3. There were more than a few loose nuts on the shackles, which were tightened. :shaking:

His recommendation is that I replace both leafs (especially the front, which is getting close to flat) with OME Dakar's (best value for the money), and work my way backward. With a stock set of shackles (or if I were to cut the ones on this truck down and re-drill) and the caster wedges removed, I can gauge what size tires will be reasonable (31's with less lift will make my life much easier). Finally, I'm going to have to keep an eye on the custom-bent anti-wrap bar going to the front axle as well as the large-drop pitman arm to make sure they don't hit anything when the truck is de-lifted a bit. With all that done, I'll have to figure out what to do about the shocks...

He also brought up three other points. First, the rear 'long-travel' shock setup has the shocks at a heck of an angle, which he guessed contributed to the poor ride. With any reduction in height, he recommended I re-weld on shock tabs to the axle facing front-back and use the stock shock mount on the frame (still attached). Second, he noted the poor turning radius (U-turns are a 3 lane + curb) and recommended some deep-backspacing rims with smaller tires (4.5" or more). And finally, the truck's 'vague' steering was due to the caster blocks hosing the factory caster to reduce driveline vibration.

So, I'm going to keep this post rolling with some pictures and progress as I get work done on the truck in the next weeks. I'm looking to de-lift it enough to make it a good DD I can drive 500 miles in a day if I need to, but still keep some of the offroad capability over stock.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Glad you got some help. def like to see some more pictures. the fact of de lifting a truck on here doesnt seem to fly to well unless you were to say "id like to convert this into a low center of gravity truggy a drop it a bit". then they would love to see you cut it all to hell.

i have respect for the original owner types (how you see the old guys in there trucks, the only mod they did was put a seat cover on back in 78 when they bought it. but it is still as clean as the day it rolled out of the show room). NOT calling you old :flipoff2: but with that being said and the condition of my truck i drive the ever living shitt out of it! :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
very nice truck. it seems he wants to have it close to stock to have a nice little tuck to ride around in (appreciate a toyota for being a toyota), so people who say sell it to someone who would appreciate it is ignorant. obviously he appreciates it or he would just sell it off and let someone destroy it. again man nice truck hope you get it how YOU want it NOT the way others else wants it.
It's a really nice truck, but maybe another forum that dosnt apply to hardcore yotas would have been a better choice than pirate.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
On to the update. I was fortunate to have a 'friend of a friend' familiar with Toyota trucks come to my house and look it over. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow, but the what he found was:

1. The lift looks like it was cherry-picked from a few different manufacturers. All-pro Hysteer, unknown company front shock-hoops with reinforcement, unknown company rear long-travel shock mount similar to http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suspension/526315-toyota-rear-shock-mount.html, Bilstein 5100's, unknown brand of aftermarket leafs and what appear to be TG extended shackles. Also has the other touches (stainless lines, front sway-bar quick disconnect, etc) and a custom anti-wrap bar for the front axle that he said looked custom and well done.

2. It has an 86+ rear axle with spacers in the front. The front axle has (2) caster wedges installed, and the rear has (1). Both rims are a pretty shallow backspacing.

3. There were more than a few loose nuts on the shackles, which were tightened. :shaking:

His recommendation is that I replace both leafs (especially the front, which is getting close to flat) with OME Dakar's If the leafs are close to flat, replacing them with any kind of aftermarket spring will lift the truck. Although, looking at the pics I don't think they are anywhere close to flat. Take some up close pics of the front springs and I'm sure someone here will be able to ID them.(best value for the money), and work my way backward. With a stock set of shackles (or if I were to cut the ones on this truck down and re-drill) Do this, stock shackes are shit and will probably max out on the frame with higher travel springs and the caster wedges removed, I can gauge what size tires will be reasonable (31's with less lift will make my life much easier). Finally, I'm going to have to keep an eye on the custom-bent anti-wrap bar going to the front axle as well as the large-drop pitman arm to make sure they don't hit anything when the truck is de-lifted a bit. With all that done, I'll have to figure out what to do about the shocks...

He also brought up three other points. First, the rear 'long-travel' shock setup has the shocks at a heck of an angle, which he guessed contributed to the poor ride. Many people run shocks like this with good results With any reduction in height, he recommended I re-weld on shock tabs to the axle facing front-back and use the stock shock mount on the frame (still attached). Second, he noted the poor turning radius (U-turns are a 3 lane + curb) and recommended some deep-backspacing rims with smaller tires (4.5" or more) I don't think smaller tires make the turing radius any better :confused: Maybe check the adjustment on the draglink to make sure its getting full turn both directions.. And finally, the truck's 'vague' steering was due to the caster blocks hosing the factory caster to reduce drive line vibration.Less caster (tilting the pinion up) will make the truck more "darty" tilting the pinion down will make the truck vague, not sure what your problem is here. Either way ditch shims though.

So, I'm going to keep this post rolling with some pictures and progress as I get work done on the truck in the next weeks. I'm looking to de-lift it enough to make it a good DD I can drive 500 miles in a day if I need to, but still keep some of the offroad capability over stock.

Oh ya and since this is pirate you should probably go with 60's because its cheaper in the long run and then link it to keep it low, go coil overs and bypasses since you might hit a bump going fast. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
It's a really nice truck, but maybe another forum that dosnt apply to hardcore yotas would have been a better choice than pirate.
Oh yeah. Now that you mentioned it, the title does say "HARDCORE BAD A$$ Toyota - Truck and 4Runner". yeah didn't think so :shaking: . if you need to divide a group of members who have the same interest in brand of vehicle, due to the fact you think there truck is not as HARDCORE as yours then go read jeep forums. they already have it prepared for your sweet hardcore king sh*t Master RIG. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts