Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am barowing my mom's 89 ford ranger 2wd automatic while i'm shopping for a new tow rig (my gmc took a dump and it is time to sell it any way). she rarley uses it and it prob sat for about 6 months before i started using it. i had it for about a week and tranny fluid started gushing out of the bellhousing area. i parked it and gave mom a call. she wanted to take it to a ford dealer so she could take care of any warantees where she lives (she's in san jose and i'm in folsom). i sujested otherwise and any shop should be able to take care of it. (i have been too busy to do any thing about it myself). she still wanted it taken to a ford dealarship so i had it towed to folsom lake ford.

i had figured it was just a front seal on the tranny so it shouldn't cost much more than a couple hundred to remove the tranny, change the seal and reinstall. i got a call and they said it was going to be $1700 to repair it. they said it needed a new torque converter, new bell housing, flex plate spacer and some other misc. items. the torque converter and bell housing had me way confused so i went down there to see the damage.

i tracked down the tech (parts changer) to see this damage. he showed me the torque converter and said the surface where it rides on a bronze bushing was grooved. i ran my thumb nail acrost it and couldn't feel any thing abnormal and definataly no groove. he then explained that there is a bronze bushing inside the bell housing that is not servicable so the whole bellhousing had to be changed. i could not see any scoring in it but it was hard to see with the input shaft still coming through. what i could see was the broken flex plate spacer that the torque converter centers itself on. without this keeping the t/c centered the seal could open up around it. this is the only thing i could see wrong.

i called my mom and explained this to her and she didn't need all these parts they are recomending. she called them and they talked her into it (i don't work on cars for a living so i guess my advice wasn't needed :flipoff2: ). she gave them authorization to complete the work but requested the parts be returned to us. they told her that the parts have been ordered and would be instock in about a week (this was last tuesday).

friday rolls around and i get a call saying the truck is done but there might be a core charge on the torque converter. i said this is fine and i would pay for it. i called the service writer and informed him that i could not be there that evening and i would be by saturday to pick up the vehicle and parts. he then tells me that they might not have the parts anymore. i explained to him that this was unexceptable and i NEEDED the parts. he said there was nothing he could do untill monday. today (monday) i call them after work to see if they have found the parts and they said they threw the bell housing away and the torque converter had already been sent back with the cores.

now i feel like calling b.a.r. to file a complaint but am not sure if i am in the right or wrong. has any one delt with something like this before or know about the laws on returning replaced parts to customers. what has me most worried was i know that hte t/c didn't need to be changed and the part wasn't suposed to be in for a week and the truck was completed in half that time.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
from your story, sounds like something is fishy. As long as you didnt pay for anything it would be ok I guess. but it looks like you paid for a core. how much for that?

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
i work in the industry(tractor repair) and if a customer request the parts its written on the work order and the mechanic is told and 99% of the time as the parts come off they go in a box and stay with said tractor till pick up. i'd call the shop manager and see what he says and if you get nowhere then call the manager of the store. i'd also definetly call b.a.r cause you asked for the parts and under the law they must return them unless there warranty and in that case you didn't buy them so there not yours.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i never got a chance to pay for the core. my mom did all the transactions over the phone so i don'd see any where on the w.o. about returning the parts. she told me that she did when she authorized the work. i know she did because the service writer called me to inform me that the vehicle was done but there might be a core on one of the parts that i wanted. this is when i told him that i would gladly pay the core charge. it was later this day that i called back to let them know that i had to work late and i wouldn't be able to pick it up till the next day. this is when he informed me that the parts might not be there.

i did talk to the service manager and he didn't care. i spoke to him in person on sarurday and told him that i NEEDED the parts back. he then took my phone number and promised to take care of it monday and give me a call. 4:30 monday afternoon i hadn't heard from him so i called to see what was up. he said the parts had been thrown away and the core was already returned. i again let him know this was unexceptable and he said in a smartalic way that i should do what i have to do.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KarmirToy said:
from your story, sounds like something is fishy. As long as you didnt pay for anything it would be ok I guess. but it looks like you paid for a core. how much for that?

i was never able to pay the $50 for the core. it was gone before i got there. the problem i have is the t/c was $300 and the bellhousing was $200 and i know they didn't need to be changed. the dealar can recomend all kinds of parts remotly related to the problem area and an unknowing person (my mom in this case) will trust they are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I am not familiar with Fords much, especially Ranger stuff. But does that auto tranny even have a removable bell housing? You dont see many that do. Have you tried calling Ford and complaining?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Krylon.. said:
I am not familiar with Fords much, especially Ranger stuff. But does that auto tranny even have a removable bell housing? You dont see many that do. Have you tried calling Ford and complaining?
Thats what I was thinking!

My old man got into this one time about freon in his '66 mustang, the deal clincher was it has no AC. :shaking:

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
You have a very good case with the BAR. It is very and clearly stated the BAR rules that if a customer requests that the old parts be returned then they MUST be provided to the customer. If you persue this you may have had the vehicle fixed for free. In our shop sometimes we hang onto the parts for as much as a month before we throw them away. Any major auto repair especailly a dealer knows this, And yes it sounds very fishey to me on what they pulled.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
No doubt in my mind that they were playing games. Once the parts are gone, it's your word against theirs about whether they needed to be replaced or not.

I have a brother-in-law that works for a dealer and he's told me some of the games mechanics he works with play to get extra work. A less than honest service manager working with a less than honest mechanic can bring alot of extra money through a shop. It really irritates him because the mechanics that are willing to go along with the game get the easy money jobs from the service managers. The ones that won't play the game, get the harder jobs that don't pay as well as punishment.

·
Registered
713 Posts
yeah, i mean i work for a high volume tire chain and we have a box on the work order the customer checks whether or not they want old parts returned. the removeable bellhousing on the tranny is terribly sketchy.

you are definitely getting taken. work your way up the chain of command until you get the repair free.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes, some ford auto tranny bell housings are replaceable, and they are expensive. We have a place here in Houston, Tx that remachines them and makes them like new again.
As far as the parts, here in Tx we have a box you have to check and initial by if you want your parts returned, and you pay whatever core charges there areon those parts. Most of the time when people find out it will cost extra to keep the old parts they don't want them anymore.
The problem you had with the tranny sounds all to familiar, those things are giant POS.
Brian.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The dealership should have held onto your parts until at least you came by and got the vehicle. At that point they can throw them away if you don't want them or want to see them. I think the law is the parts must be held for 30 days but I could be wrong on that. You may be getting this repair for free. Dealerships and independent repair shops pull this bullshit all the time just to be able to make money. I'm an ASE Master Tech who now works out of my own shop at home. I got so tired of working for for both dealerships and independent shops because of ridiculous bullshit like this. It was either the customer or me who got screwed consistently by these shops(yes they will even screw over their own employee) that iratated me enough to venture out on my own. Don't get me wrong, not all shops are like this, but GOOD HONEST shops are getting harder and harder to find.

Jeff
________
NaughtySonya

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
This is what I found at BAR's website:

Replaced Parts

At the time you sign the work order, you may request that the repair shop return to you any parts that are replaced. The shop is required by law to return the parts to you only if you request them before the work is done.

If the shop installs a rebuilt part, the old part is usually returned to the supplier as partial payment for the rebuilt part. This payment is called a core charge. If you want the old part back, you may have to pay the core charge.

If any replaced parts must be returned to the supplier under a warranty arrangement, those parts will not be returned to you. But you have a right to see them if a charge is being made for replacement.

I didn't see anything on what happens if you do request the parts and don't get them back.

Jeff
________
Web shows

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
ihojeff said:
The dealership should have held onto your parts until at least you came by and got the vehicle. At that point they can throw them away if you don't want them or want to see them. I think the law is the parts must be held for 30 days but I could be wrong on that. You may be getting this repair for free. Dealerships and independent repair shops pull this bullshit all the time just to be able to make money. I'm an ASE Master Tech who now works out of my own shop at home. I got so tired of working for for both dealerships and independent shops because of ridiculous bullshit like this. It was either the customer or me who got screwed consistently by these shops(yes they will even screw over their own employee) that iratated me enough to venture out on my own. Don't get me wrong, not all shops are like this, but GOOD HONEST shops are getting harder and harder to find.

Jeff
That is the biggest bunch of BS I have read in a while. You are telling us that every dealership and independent shop you have worked for has tried to screw you :rolleyes: Sounds to me like no body wanted you working for them so you work out of your garage now. Word travels fast in that industry huh?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Keith said:
That is the biggest bunch of BS I have read in a while. You are telling us that every dealership and independent shop you have worked for has tried to screw you :rolleyes: Sounds to me like no body wanted you working for them so you work out of your garage now. Word travels fast in that industry huh?
Read what I said - "either me or the customer". Of the 5 independent shops and 2 dealerships that I worked for only one was straight up both ways. I left that shop after 3 years for greener pasture of which I didn't find. I can sit here and write up the whole story about my life as a mechanic if you wish but here is a brief summary:

Goodyear tire garage - Owner was a chronic liar. Caught him many times lying to customers even when there was an honest reason for parts replacement.

Independent shop - Owner would instruct us to replace some parts that didn't need it.

Independent shop - Great place to work for. Honest in every respect. Had I not needed health benefits for a growing family I would have stayed with him until he sold out.

Dealership - Some customer screwing but was let go after injuring myself. Not legal in this state.

Independent shop - Honest when it came to customer repairs but did short me on pay.

Dealership - Was only there 4.2 days. Place was so ridiculous that I left right away.

Independent shop - Flat out screwed its customers and employees on a regular basis.

At this point I had seen enough. I had my own shop before I worked for others and now I'm back to working for myself again. There is no other way. I do have a guilty consicious and hate to see people screwed. I also have over 60k in quality tools(no bullshit) at the shops disposal yet I would have to argue over a $20 bill. Yeah, word does travel fast. Want my name and who I've worked for? I got nothing to hide. So don't tell me that what I wrote was a bunch of bullshit. Sounds like to me you might be one those stupid parts changers that I couldn't stand or the hack that would rip cars apart in the stall next to me with no regards.

Jeff Ismail
________
Colorado medical marijuana

·
Registered
982 Posts
sounds like

they're scamming the work, i've been in the dealer buisness for 20 yrs,you request your parts you should get your parts,if not then they have not replaced them...times are tough so if you dont get honesty you might get burned,most techs at dealers wont sell you something you dont need, BUT!they are out there.if the truck was running and shifting fine, but dumping fluid,it probably was just a t/c seal, i see them go bad all the time,jap or domestic,as for automatics, i have NEVER seen one with a seperate bell housing.hope thing work out for you and your mom. definitly file some sort of grievence!!! :shaking: :shaking:

·
Registered
982 Posts
ihojeff

sorry to hear about your experiences, it sound like cali is a tough market, to much compitition? i've been with nisasan/infiniti for 20 yrs, i've just had bad managers,usually treaded well by the dealerships as a whole, except one,anyone in colorado,boycott any PEAK DEALERSHIP,owner and g.m. are the biggest pieces of trash i've ever come across!!!!have a great day now! :)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
300sniper said:
he then tells me that they might not have the parts anymore. i explained to him that this was unexceptable and i NEEDED the parts. he said there was nothing he could do untill monday. today (monday) i call them after work to see if they have found the parts and they said they threw the bell housing away and the torque converter had already been sent back with the cores.
I call total BULLSHIT on them not having the parts anymore.
The bellhousing would have been put into their scrap metal pile, and the torque converter is sitting on a core return shelf in the back of the parts department.
First, I am a tech at a local heavy truck dealership. I have several colleagues that work for local Ford dealerships.
Most every repair shop has a scrap metal bin or pile where they store old parts. When they get enough parts together, they send it off to a metal recycler. Considering how many metal parts most shops go through everyday, they would be foolish not to recycle them. Aluminum parts like bellhousings would bring a lot more than steel.
As for the converter, core parts are stored until they have enough to fill a pallet, then they are shipped out via truck to the remanufacturer.
I find it VERY hard to believe that the dealership did a run to the metal recyclers AND shipped out their core returns both on the same day.

They have the damned parts, just too damned lazy to go find them. :evil:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts