Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Aunt just came by to visit (had knee surgery and relatives/friends have been visiting me at my parents) and she got an R/C Car Action magazine for something to read in the meantime. Damn, I haven't been into r/c for about 15 years. Seems they've come a long way.

Logged into TowerHobbies and start doing dome math. By the time I get into chargers, remotes, brushless motors, ESCs, the car/truck, LiPos, and "miscellaneous", and it seems I'll need about $1000 to get into this. That seem about right? Not quite sure if I'd do on road or off road. But it'd be 1/10 scale and definitely electric. I'd probably do the Traxxas Slash if I went off road and an Associated TC for on road car. I'd REALLY like to get into some of the scale stuff I read here, but I don't think I have the skill or patience to get that into it.

But anywho, its safe to say I'm looking at roughly $1000 to $1500 right? If that's the case, I'll just have to wait until I have the Zuk a little more trail ready. hehe

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
You can drop $1000 very easily but you could also get started for way less. I just bought my son a Redcat short course truck for his birthday RTR for $200. Sure, its no Team Assoc. S/C 10 but it is 4x4 and brushless. And I just put lipo in it and it will haul.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pick up an Axial SCX-10 RTR Honcho and have fun right out of the box. Ofcourse you'll want to upgrade and customize to your liking, but it's a great platform to build off.

A ton of aftermarket support is available and you can have fun with it about anywhere.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pick up an Axial SCX-10 RTR Honcho and have fun right out of the box. Ofcourse you'll want to upgrade and customize to your liking, but it's a great platform to build off.

A ton of aftermarket support is available and you can have fun with it about anywhere.
Looked into that. That will probably what I'll end up doing. Of course I'm going to want to go to 3s LiPos so that will be a bit of an expense there. Meh, the real truck first then I see myself getting into this perhaps for next year. :)

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poked around online this morning. Came up with this:

Meh. Perhaps with my tax return or something. Though, $700 would do wonders for the Zuk.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Re: 5000MaH battery

I would suggest a 2000 ish battery (get 2). Run times on crawlers is at least a six-pack :D You will appreciate less size and weight with the smaller battery.

Save the 5000 MaH for the Traxxas ;)

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh wow, really? They last that long huh? Well that will certainly help on the price a bit. Thanks.

And by the Traxxas, you mean Traxxas battery? There's a 3300 mAh 3S for the same price...

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Oh wow, really? They last that long huh? Well that will certainly help on the price a bit. Thanks.

And by the Traxxas, you mean Traxxas battery? There's a 3300 mAh 3S for the same price...
I run 2200's in my crawlers (or smaller for the AX10) and 5000 MaH on the Traxxas Slash. I am happy with the run time on the 2200s but never really measured the time. I would not trade run time at the expense of size and weight at this point.

I run this in my SCX10 based crawlers:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-2s1p-74-20c.html

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the weight difference is 162 grams. Or roughly .3 pounds? Will that really make a difference? And thanks for the website; those batteries are real cheap!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts