Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what everyone thinks on reusing u-bolts, personally i wont do it the extra 50 bucks for peace of mind is worth it to me. If you havent heard why not to reuse u-bolts its to do with the sharp threaded nut against the rolled threads on the u-bolt and when the nut is removed it cross threads the threads often you cant even see the damage.

If anyone has had any experience with u-bolt failures because of reusing u-bolts, tell the story and post up some pics if you got them.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
As far as I'm concerned U-bolts are torque to yield. I spent some time in a spring shop, and most people have no idea how far they actually stretch. Or that they should be upright when tighted(as in 90* to the axle tube)

Usually what happens is a broken center pin. People like to blame the pin, but fact is that the pin only is there to locate the diff until the u-bolts are tight, the clamping force or friction is what retains the diff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my understanding its a combination of torque to yield and the thread design, i have found it odd how some people break their center pins when i have seen holes in spring perches ovaled before the center pin broke in a front end collision never thought that they were reusing their u-bolts, that makes perfect sense to me.

So i take it you dont reuse?

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I cut them in half to take them off. Don't give customers a choice. Unless it's been less than the time to the retorque(usually the first wheeling trip, or 300miles or so)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ive reused mine lots of times after breaking center pins leafs and shit Ive never had and problems as long as they tighten up there fine.
Its not rocket science everyone I know has reused them at some point as long as there not horribly old my way of thinking about it is if they loosen OK and tighten OK there good to go.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive reused mine lots of times after breaking center pins leafs and shit Ive never had and problems as long as they tighten up there fine.
Its not rocket science everyone I know has reused them at some point as long as there not horribly old my way of thinking about it is if they loosen OK and tighten OK there good to go.
Would you reuse ring gear bolts in a diff? they will loosen and tighten ok

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Would you reuse ring gear bolts in a diff? they will loosen and tighten ok
I've reused ring gear bolts plenty. I alway clean and red-loctite them. That's a whole different ballgame though, as ring gear bolts don't torque to the same levels as u-bolts and they are loaded in shear as opposed to the random loading of u-bolts (especially in an offroad rig).

I can't think of a time where I've had the chance to re-use u-bolts? I ususally cut them off donor vechicles. All the aftermarket u-bolts I've used had tall nut that seemed to be a mechanical lock nut, so it Fs the threads when you back them off?

I *may* have reused factory u-bolts on a fullsize chevy one time when I pulled the front axle for a complete clean/rebuild. (that was about 7 years a go so I dont remember, probably did tho)

·
Banned
7,871 Posts
I don't like reusing bolts personally.Then again around here I don't know anyone who doesn't re-use all the above mentioned bolts.The only failures I've seen are driveline u-bolts and toy steering arm bolts loosening,but I believe it's just a matter if time.
Here are my thoughts....I don't want to be that guy who died when his axle separated or the one who was stranded,and had to leave his rig to be cannibalized over a few bucks and some inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I've only ever been able to get one set of ubolts off, and I reused them. I never have a problem with them. Since then, I've just cut them off and replaced them...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cut them in half to take them off. Don't give customers a choice. Unless it's been less than the time to the retorque(usually the first wheeling trip, or 300miles or so)
^^^^^exactly, its only $50 for a new set....dont be cheap

·
Registered
475 Posts
I never reuse u-bolts, they don't cost that much to replace and I would rather have new un-stretched bolts while on the trail than take the risk.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I reuse u bolts all the time and have for years,never had a failure.same goes for ring gear bolts,never a failure.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've reused them all. Ubolts, flywheel bolts, ring gear bolts, and head bolts. You just have to use your common sense man. :D

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I have reused u bolts a few times and have never had an issue. But i only use them when i dont have new ones around. I just dont see the point in spending $50 every few months when im fine tuning my set up. Once i have it set up the way i like it then i will get new u bolts and i wont have to touch them for a year or two

·
Banned
995 Posts
I re use them if they arent old as hell or gouged real bad, but recently I had an eye opening experience that switched me over to getting new ones each time.

I was torquing my u bolts before the NYE Clayton run and at about 100 ft lbs it snapped in half in the middle of the bend. This isnt some pos lift kit u bolt either. 5/8' Dayton stock. I get mine made at Inland truck parts who only work on big stuff over 2.5 ton, and usually around 5 ton and up.

Its cheap insurance to replace them and also go to a bigger size when doing so. Anyone who has had an axle twist out from under them knows the fun it causes.

These pics are from 2" blocks kicking out, back in the day. No pics of the snapped u bolt though.

No I didnt have rear steer, lol

15,440 Posts
I've reused plenty, I chase the threads and use new nuts and washers if the old ones are worn badly, and torque them to 115 lbs with a torque wrench. I've never had one fail, knock on wood. But I am dealing with bigger than 1/2 inch ubolts too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts