Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bed Bobs are nothing new to most of us, but are essential in obtaining better departure angles for the Toyotas. However, my bed bob build was not based on departure angles. Scout254 built a sweet rear bumper for me and I did not want to modify it and I just needed a better location for my spare tire. I can no longer lift a 35" tire/wheel assembly up to my roof rack and needed a better option, so here is what I did:
Cut the end cap off the FRONT end of the bed

Cut about 13 inches out of the floor

Measure Twice - Cut Once! Cut out 14 inches of bed side.

Ready to weld up end cap

Almost Done

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, had to make new bed mounts due to the shorter bed

Now we have this gap between the cab and bed

Fill in gap with aircraft landing mat, utilizing original bed mounts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, lets whip up a tire mount and build a frame

Add a modified (widened) trailer fender

Bolt in place

Ratchet strap tire to mount

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
That looks horribly impractical. And ugly.

I'd have built a prerunner-style tire carrier and mounted it in the bed. Hell, that IS what I did until I bobbed my 4Runner.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks interesting but why? I'm not knocking it but you could put the tire in the bed? What all are you going for.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I dig the functional aspect of it. I don't think it's for everyone, but atleast it saves you from having to throw it up on the roof.

Nice Job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks interesting but why? I'm not knocking it but you could put the tire in the bed? What all are you going for.
I would have mounted the spare in the bed, but I do alot of camping and really needed the bed space for the excessive camping gear I bring along. Oh, also I'm married, so the wife likes it when I bring along the bathroom and kitchen sink:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dig the functional aspect of it. I don't think it's for everyone, but atleast it saves you from having to throw it up on the roof.

Nice Job.
Thanks, I am going for the "functional aspect of it". I had two flats in one trip and getting the spare up and down from the roof rack would kill me. I needed the ease of access, as my back is not in the best shape anymore. Here is a picture of me removing the spare from the roof, I just got tired of having to flop the truck over every time to get to that spare tire.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I can understand the "convience" for having the tire easily accessable, but how often do you get flats. I totally agree with getting teh tire mounted lower on teh vehicle just for the CG benefit! I would have just stuck it under the bed!
Well, originally the spare was under the bed, until I had a 6000lb Warn mounted under there. I might have been better off mounting the winch as you have in your photo. My rear winch mounts to a new crossmember and that eliminated the spare.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
:smokin:

Going to bob the cap too?

I was going to bob my bed but don't want to until I commit to bobbing the cap as well. The damn thing is so handy for storage/camping...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would have mounted the spare in the bed, but I do alot of camping and really needed the bed space for the excessive camping gear I bring along. Oh, also I'm married, so the wife likes it when I bring along the bathroom and kitchen sink:D
OK, you say you need the bed space but didn't you just cut off over a foot of you bed to make your reverse bed bob?!?! I'm not trying to bash your idea, just trying to figure out the method to the madness:)

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
You bobbed the bed and then left it in the original spot? Why didnt you mount that crap in the bed?

Yall can't say anything about us Jeep guys ever again... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
You bobbed the bed and then left it in the original spot? Why didnt you mount that crap in the bed?
probably because it would have made it harder to the the tire out of the back , now he just unhooks it and rolls it out , and full gas cans are a heavy sombitch , especially if you have to lift them out the bed

Yall can't say anything about us Jeep guys ever again... :flipoff2:
sure we can:flipoff2:

·
Registered
18,302 Posts
probably because it would have made it harder to the the tire out of the back , now he just unhooks it and rolls it out , and full gas cans are a heavy sombitch , especially if you have to lift them out the bed

sure we can:flipoff2:

I see your point but its seems like an awful lot of work for little result to me. I say that as long as he doesnt have a snorkle he is good in my book :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts