Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I cut of the shackles hangers on the rear of my '67 EB and now need a question answered.

Should I be welding them back in place exactly where the originals were or should they be moved ahead?

The way they appear to be lining up now they are about 2 " ahead of where they used to mount. Is this just due to the fact that the spring is unloaded?

Also at what angle should the shackle be at when unloaded? Is there any chance of it flipping forward and binding in this postion when the spring comes up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I flipped mine without cutting off the mounts. I just made a shackel that fit the old and it all seemed to work. I don't know what to tell you other than what I already have. If I can be of any help I will.
Steve

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
mine are about 2-3" forward of stock, the shackle should be at about 45 degrtees (with the spring eye behind the shackle mounting point) at static ride height.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm not fully understanding your question. Is this what you're asking?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
D60's picture shows it. Mine were like that except that mine were outside of the factory mount, I had to do some work to make them smooth so the shackles would move freely & I cut a chunk of pipe to put inside of the factory mount so it would not collapse. What I ended up with was leveling it to the front that had 3.5" coils and the shackle angel was within a degree or two of stock by just doing shackles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I needed to know, thanks guys.

Just wasn't sure if the hanger was to be rewelded in the original spot or 2 " in front of it. It's all good now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I set mine up with the whole pack moved back, to lengthen the wheelbase. But, at full droop/unload spring, you want the shackle angled foward to aproximately continue the line of the spring. Too much and they will cam foward and lock. At ride height, about an equal angle to the rear. HTH

·
Registered
200 Posts
if i were to use a set of longer springs how would i account for the compression when the weight of the vehicle was on them so i can get the right angle for the shackle. i dont want to use the length of the spring on the ground because once weight is put on it it will spread and i dont want the shackle pointed straight out the back. and i dont want to weld everything on and grind it off a bunch of times for a few inches. does anyone have an idea or length for a set of f150 springs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts