Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Review:

37 x 14.5 x 15 Maxxis Creepy Crawler
Purchased through K & M Tire out of Hickory North Carolina. Got there name directly from Maxxis. Tires were $230 a peice and no shipping involved since they deliver to customers in my area. I just met the truck at one of there drop points.
When I got the tires I measured them up at just under 36" tall and I think they were were a true 14.5" wide. The tires come very stiff and the composition of the tread is very tough. The tread blocks are also really tall and are self cleaning due to the angle of the blocks.

Road ride is perfectly smooth, not that I give a $hit. They need to be run at low air pressure on and off road cus at over like 15psi they bubble in the middle.

On the rocks they grab great. I was testing them up against a similarly built YJ on 38" swampers. By the end of the first run at Tellico I had no cuts and very little wear and had climbed every obstacle I tried. My buddies swampers had chunks out of the tread and was having clearance problems in my opinon due to running the swampers at low air pressure and reducing the height. The crawlers actually held there height at 5 psi and still flexed out nicely. they did not flex as well as the swampers, but with at wide and flat as the tire is and the amount of side wall bite there was, there was no need for more flex. This gave me the advantage. I very rarely got spin other than one time on helicopter pad where I did a 4 wheel burnout on a 45 degree flat spot on the face, after a few seconds one tire caught and pulled me right up. In short terms. They kicked a$$.

In the mud. The tires will fill up faster than a set of swampers or boggers due to the room between blocks, however the blocks are set up so they clean easy and are very very deep so they don't seem to reduce traction when they get packed up. I run a 4.0L in my Tj with an automatic and 4.56 gears and a detroit in the rear, so in 2wd it is hard to brake them loose to through mud and was pretty much impossible with the tracking these tires had. Not sure how they would do in a mud trag but in crawling through a hole, they grab fine and don't seem to bog to the bottum (could have been the 14.5 inch width

And as far as big a$$ trucks, I told you they don't flex alot, so they can definately hangle the weigt of a 8,000 pound truck. Jeep only wights 4,500 pounds.

I say :bounce2: Yuppee

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
From the photos, they look a lot like Krawlers.

What is the carcass construction? Bias or radial? Steel plies?

·
Registered
425 Posts
What PSI do you run them on and off road? You said that they balloon out at 15 PSI. Just wondering as I am considering these tires after my mtrs are toast. I do drive my TJ to close trail heads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know these tires main purpose is for off-road but how about on road? RWrangler 88 said they were smooth on road. Has anyone else tried them on road? I only ask because I drive my truck to the local trails via highway and sometimes interstate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a review, Not a damn manufacturers post. I gave you measurments, road worthyness, mud, rocks, how they hold up, what psi's I ran, and some pics of them in action. If you want pics of the damn tread design go to Maxxis.com. :flipoff2:

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Sorry to bring that back from the dead, but I figure I'd add my info rather than start another post.

I took my 37x12.50-16 Creepy Crawlers out to the dirt for the first time today. I'm running them on a 97 Ram 1500, dual lockers, 4.56's, 9" custom long arm suspension setup.

They are bias, "D" rated to 3525lb. They are heavy at 75lb each.

Unmounted tread depth

Shoulder lugs

tread design

I know many of you don't care for Daniel at USA6x6, but I'm running his Civilian Double beadlocks in 16x8, more as simple peice of info here rather than me trying to get into reviewing them. They weigh 59lb with the insert.

Total tire/wheel weight is 134lb. I've put about 1,000 miles on them on the street, up to 75mph. No problems. Seem to handle and track well. I am using only 10oz of Dynabeads from http://www.innovativebalancing.com per tire/wheel combo.

Offroad they were nice. At 5psi, they wrapped around rocks nicely but still maintained enough sidewall stiffness for a nice ride and fairly responsive steering. What mud I tried cleaned very easily will minimal throttle.

The wet and muddy rocks were climbed easily with almost no slipping. Much better than the SSRs I used to run.

@5psi

Here you can see how the sidewall holds up, even at 5psi, when it doesnt need to wrap around something.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm really considering a set for my next tire. I thought I read that they were a true 37" tire but the review says that their not even a 36". Is that right? I don't want to buy a 37" tire that doesn't even measure 36"!!! Can somebody conferm this.

·
Registered
935 Posts
rwangler88 said:
Here ya go. Got more if needed.

what size rims are you running. i am guessing a 15x10, what backspacing... I am looking at going to long arms and goin up to these tires or the 12.5" Trying to decide. I am running 33x12.50 now. I dont like real skinny looking tires, but I also dont like super wide... 33 to 36 is 10% increase, 12.5 to 14.5 is 16% increase... so they will look a little wider than my tires right now... I hope my jeep still fits on my trailer...

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Mine are 36.5" on a 16x8. Its a bit narrow, but my unit bearings wear out fast on a 10" wheel.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts