Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know what everyone means by the Smarty Smile! :D Got a great deal on a "Demo" Model.

All this was Done on SW#3 (60HP).... EGT's would stop climbing at about 1300* and the truck would just plain haul ass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXSvDT0mtA

Now I wot Lie to you... This thing will SMOKE!!! But if you pay attention to what you are doing you can drive all day without letting out a puff. It's vey easy to learn and you don't have to "baby" it.. Just take it easy until there is some boost built up... I can keep up with traffic from a stop light with out a puff of smoke just fine.

Stepped up to SW#5 (90HP) and while slightly faster the EGT's rose ALOT faster... I let out at 1400*... The Tranny seems to be taking it well. No signs of slipping and the temps only got to 190* (measured in the hot line) while really beating on it... I could make it do that stock...

This programer Really made the truck wake on the bottom end and the top end was not to shabby either. That plus the Fact that it is undetectable by the dealer (so everyone says) made this this teh programer for me. I've not had time to pull a Heavy load with it yet but did hook up my 21 foot boat with it on SW#3 (60HP) and can tell a HUGE differance... Obviously this load was nothing for the truck before the mods but now it is like it's not there at all... Can't wait to get it loaded up Heavy... Just need to keep it on the lower setting till I can Mod my tranny.

To sum up.... I would recomend this programer to anyone looking to get a little more out of there Cummins. While It might not have the on-the-fly adjustability of some other boxes, and you have to load up another program (about 3 min) anytime you want to change the power setting I feel all this is cancelled out because of how smooth and strong the power comes. Also the 10 levels of power take care of any type of driving and any truck set up you can think of...

SW # 0 : Half power
SW # 1 : 30 Hp increase, with added timing .
SW # 2 : 60 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 3 : 60 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 4 : 90 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 5 : 90 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 6 : 130 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 7 : 130 Hp increase, with added timing.
SW # 8 : 170 Hp increase, no added timing.
SW # 9 : 170 Hp increase, with added timing.

The guys at Smarty are always coming out with new programs for differnt set ups (After mart Turbo, Injectors, ect.) and you can download any of them from the web site for FREE... You can take off the TQ managment or have the programmer do Boost Fooling for you. And if you have problems the coustomer service is Top notch. I know of two guys personaly who have "custom" tunes because none of the standard ones worked very well with the mods to thier trucks... These were written at no cost for them. how many companies do that. So if you buy a Smarty now you don;t have to worry about not havng the "latest and greatest" in a year... Just go to the web site and download the new tunes.

So if you need a programer for your Cummins... And want what I feel is the best choice out there... Look no further than the Smarty.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Good deal... I am seriously considering the smarty.. or.. how about you send me your smarty, let me download a program and send it back to you :D :D
Scott

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
nice review...is you truck otherwise stock? If I can find enough evidence that it really is undetectable by the dealer then I'm thinkin I'm gonna get one this winter.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good deal... I am seriously considering the smarty.. or.. how about you send me your smarty, let me download a program and send it back to you :D :D
Scott
If you are ever in VA come on by and I'll let you try it out!

nice review...is you truck otherwise stock? If I can find enough evidence that it really is undetectable by the dealer then I'm thinkin I'm gonna get one this winter.
Other then this exhaust it is stock. From what everyone says it is undetectable. I belive that it is at least the hardest to find out of all the programers.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
it is undetectable.

proven year in and year out. so long as before you take it into the dealership you remove the smarty program and allow the unit to download the stock program back on. I have friends who are dodge techs and they have tried numerous times to find a signature on mine with thier DRB because they dont believe it doesnt leave a signature. low and be hold most of them are running smarty's on thier trucks now also.........

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
smarty is sweet, Im running a beta 4.4 prog. right now and it cost me a bunch of cash on a new south bend clutch.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Scott
Smarty's get imprinted with a code off of the owner's computer. Once it's imprinted with that code, it can't be used to program other people's truck. My roomate tried to use a buddy's to reprogram his speedo for the larger tires it was running and it was no-go.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
I figured that they would do something to prevent them from being used on numerous different trucks, or they wouldn't make any money off them.

RSwords, I will have to take you up on that if I am ever back east. Good to see another dieselbombers member here as well.

Scott aka dieseljunkie on Dieselbombers.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured that they would do something to prevent them from being used on numerous different trucks, or they wouldn't make any money off them.

RSwords, I will have to take you up on that if I am ever back east. Good to see another dieselbombers member here as well.

Scott aka dieseljunkie on Dieselbombers.
Whats up man! Good to see you here also!

Got a good picture of the truck in front of my fire house...

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Thats an outstanding picture Bobby :D It almost looks like the truck is smoking on its own.. I can barely make out an occupant in the drivers seat. :D I'm not sure if your firehouse buddies are impressed or not :lmao:
Scott

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I got one on my 07 5.9L. The only mods to mine are cat/muffler removed, silencer ring removed and took out the plastic piece in the air intake that has the crosses in it and replaced with PVC....dont know if the latter helped or not but whatever.

BTW guys you cannot download the Smarty on your truck and then the next guy come along and do it too. You have to take the original truck back to stock settings first. You can install it on a million trucks but only one at a time.

You better watch those EGT's....1400 deg. is dang hot. I have only had mine to #5, with a six speed and stock clutch. Got some buddys running them all the way to #9 and they say at 60mph they can punch it and it will get sideways. I have not personally seen this though.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
1400 degrees would scare me to death, is that sort of heat ok for the newer Cummins? My old 12 valve tops out at 1000 uphill towing with my foot in it pretty good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1400 degrees would scare me to death, is that sort of heat ok for the newer Cummins? My old 12 valve tops out at 1000 uphill towing with my foot in it pretty good.

The new engines run quite a bit hotter. My 04.5 would hit 1400 stock on a 0-80 run......

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Nice! I want one. I just hit 30 thousand miles on my 06. It has been a constant struggle not to mod it much. Last month I did straight pipe it. I figure I can force myself to hold off on the programer till I get some gauges..

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! I want one. I just hit 30 thousand miles on my 06. It has been a constant struggle not to mod it much. Last month I did straight pipe it. I figure I can force myself to hold off on the programer till I get some gauges..
Just as you said you should definatly get guages before anything else... Even on a stock truck they will tell you ALOT about what is going on.

And yes these newer trucks run hotter... 1400* is alot but for 2 or 3 seconds it should be okay. Thats why the guages went in... So that I don;t melt down a perfectly good engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts