Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I do not have a plasma, and need a way to cut sheet metal. After reading around I found this on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Power-Tools-Multipurpose-Circular/dp/B004QX7P1Y

Used it today and it is SWEET! Cuts 1/4" steel plate like butter. I have made about 20Ft in cuts with it and it is still going strong, and the blade is not showing any signs of wear yet. I will of course do a update later if there is interest.

Here is a video of me cutting some 3/16" plate.

[URL="
[/URL]
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=LaK6DYbPLdw

Also attached a few photo's of the cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I've been using a worn out black and decker circular saw with a carbon steel blade, maybe HSS?

Anyway, it cut with the teeth for about a foot, then the next twenty (so far) have been just friction sawing. Still has half the height of the teeth left, not bad for a plywood blade that I dug out of the garbage.

Just recently bought a $30 skil worm-drive saw to try out with carbide blades. it goes 4400 RPM, so who knows.

8300 vs 7400 SFPM, so either way, it's way faster than any chart would say uncoated carbide would survive for long on mild steel.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the saw rotate at noticeably slower rpm than a regular saw of the same design?
I wouldn't know. I know it is rated lower than most saws at 3900 rpm, but I have not been around another saw to know, if I could even tell.

Cut a bunch of 3/16" and 1/8" today.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
_irate4x4 com
1,862 Posts
Does the saw rotate at noticeably slower rpm than a regular saw of the same design?
I just searched, and had a surprisingly hard time nailing down a RPM for a dewalt circ saw, but came up with 5200, so about 1300 rippums slower than the rage.

Earlier this year I burnt the shit out of a brand new steel demon blade from freud using it on a 5200 rpm dewalt saw (which the blade was rate for!!!).

I got about 24 inches of cut from a 3/16 plate before the blade was completely fawked. I was seriously dissapointed in my $60 blade. I've also got a rigid worm saw, but the rpms are similar.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Sweet, I am in the market for a new circ saw, being able to do steel and wood would be pimp.:grinpimp::smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Three screws loosened on me, one enough to where it fell out and is gone forever. I already have a new saw on the way from Amazon.

Some of you may shit on me for this, but I tighten the screwed and finished my project anyways. I did burn up the saw blade as well. I am not sure if it was my attempt to do a plunge cut that did it in, or the fact I was trying to shave a little bit off of a piece. This saw is very limited if you need to trim just a tad off of material. Say if you cut something and it is 1/16 or 1/8th too big you cannot shave that much off like you could with wood. (I have a decent woodworking background) Sometimes it will start cutting, but the blade will flex out a little and make it almost impossible to take any more off.

Another thing that sucks, as with all circular saws is trying to make a ton of precise strait cuts. Currently I have been using some angle to make a fence and that will make a very nice cut every time, but takes FOREVER in measuring, clamping down the angle, measuring move, move ect ect... I think I am going to try making a jig similar to design this... and see how it goes. Will update if interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I am also interested in other peoples experience with jigs as well...
You've gotta clamp them down tight, and even then from time to time for no reason whatsoever the saw will decide to push up against the guide and pinch the blade in the cut.

I just scribe real precise lines and then make soapstone Xes on the side of the metal I'm throwing in the drops bin. Put on your welding jacket, earpro, a face shield, welding gloves, and 'lab style' safety goggles, get your face real close in there to see what you're doing and cut slow. You'll still get occasional chips where they hurt like fuck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts