Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have no idea if in that pic it was on the stop or not, I was only saying, just for the sake of argument lets say it was on the stop.

And I do have to add that my FJ turns way tight, I've seen few rigs with as tight of steering as it (Hydro helps a bit). But no, I can't say that yes the ackerman is the reason, I feel it works good. I made a few sets of arms for people and I always leave it up to them if they want close to factory ackerman or just straight arms. More often than not people want the close to factory set-up.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Originally posted by KrustyKruiser:
<STRONG>So Gordon, that means that the outer tire is turning at a smaller radius than the inner tire? Does this produce excessive tire scrub and unusual wear patterns? Just curious. Thanxs Andy</STRONG>
Well I guess, almost every factory 4x4 has reverse ackerman. At high steering angles you can see the tires scrubing, I am sure it contributes to wear. When I was driving on the street a lot my front tires would wear out on the outside edges a bit faster. I think this is due mostly to about 1 degree positive camber and the 10 degree kingpin inclination angle. But the reverse ackerman couldn't help.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts