Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some looking back and found some interesting threads, especially here.

I'm considering one of these more as a DD and "family truckster" but wanted something big enough to tow my YJ with (probably flat tow). Because of its primary role (the fact my wife will drive it): *Pickups/Diesels/Excursions are out.* (I know, I've read all about them -getting my wife into even a gas tahoe will be a challenge).

That said, I'm interested in any opinions anyone has on the engine options. (I"m looking used, so 02-04 ish), and probably wouldn't buy until next spring/summer -I just want to get some learnin' done now. ;)

Bearing in mind it will see most use in the Rockies...should I rule out the 4.8L immediately?

What can I do to prevent tranny problems I've heard so much about?

Finally, (since the wife is open to the tahoe more than the suburban), and I just want it for space...what other benefits are there to that?

Thanks for anything you got,

-josh :beer:

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
jnschwie said:
learnin' done now. ;)

Bearing in mind it will see most use in the Rockies...should I rule out the 4.8L immediately?

What can I do to prevent tranny problems I've heard so much about?
1) I would.

2) Don't tow in Overdrive EVER. Don't drive empty in overdrive at speeds where the tranny can't decide on OD or 3rd (55-65 being a BAD speed for OD - faster & it'll stick in 4th, slower & it'll stick in 3rd. It's that in-betweener that'll kill ya). Don't leave it in OD if it starts to hunt, even if running empty at 75+ MPH.

TEX

·
Hophead
77,716 Posts
Tranny temp gauge is nice as well

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
A friend of mine in Montana has one with t he 5.3, gets great mileage even pulling the jeep all the way back from Arizona. 3.73's seemed to work really well. Definately dont tow in OD, otherwise his 00' has 187,000 on it, has towed his jeep regularly with it at least 2 times a month on the weekends up to the trails, still has the same tranny. Change the fluid and filter regularly 30,000 mile intervals i think. averages 14-15 mpg towing in the moutains of western MT.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Why is it that she wouldnt go for a diesel tahoe? same size and all, will drive the same for her, but have more power and better mileage for you.

Ryan

·
Registered
184 Posts
96zjlimited said:
Why is it that she wouldnt go for a diesel tahoe? same size and all, will drive the same for her, but have more power and better mileage for you.

Ryan

Diesel Tahoe?? I dont think that this exists, wish it did though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Josh, When did you leave Charleston?
To answer on my experiences, I tow my CJ on a trailer with my '99 K2500 Suburban. It is a 7.4 with 4.10 gears. It does get shitty fuel economy, but I am happy with the vehicle in general. I use mine as a DD, and sleep in it when camping. I just had my computer re-programmed by Lyndon at Wester's garage. I was getting approx. 7.9mpg while towing, and about 11 around town, after the new computer, I got 9.2 towing, and not sure about around town yet (just got back from Tellico).
My wife drives a '98 K1500 Tahoe with a 350, and she loves it. I'm sure it would be very capable to flat tow your jeep.
I feel either vehicle would be sufficient for towing, but another reason for driving the larger vehicles, is safety!!!! Tonnage rules always apply...
Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
ddestruel said:
A friend of mine in Montana has one with t he 5.3, gets great mileage even pulling the jeep all the way back from Arizona. 3.73's seemed to work really well. Definately dont tow in OD, otherwise his 00' has 187,000 on it, has towed his jeep regularly with it at least 2 times a month on the weekends up to the trails, still has the same tranny. Change the fluid and filter regularly 30,000 mile intervals i think. averages 14-15 mpg towing in the moutains of western MT.
so you say your buddy pulls a jeep on trailer with a 5.3? it do alright at highway speeds? on steep grades? i towed my toy this past weekend and it didnt do too bad, but its pretty flat around here. i want to tow it up to tellico and grey rock, but i'm not sure how well the 5.3 will do on the grades. (sorry for the hijack)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Can you even get the 4.8L in the Tahoe or Burb? I thought they started in at 5.3L.

The Suburban has 8' of cargo area with the back seats folded down.

I'm quite sure the Tahoe and 1500 Suburban have coils in the back now for extra koosh. Can it handle the tongue weight of your trailer? How about the Jeep jerking the arse around?

The 10-bolt in these isn't a long-lasting unit... at least not with the Gov-lock that they all come with.

The 2500 Suburban has bigger brakes, bigger axles, and leaf springs in the back.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you could only get the diesel in the 2 door which would defeat his purpose so really it's just the blazers that have the diesel eventhough they called them tahoes.

'-ben

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
m016324 said:
you could only get the diesel in the 2 door which would defeat his purpose so really it's just the blazers that have the diesel eventhough they called them tahoes.

'-ben
He's also looking to buy about an '02, so it's kind of a moot point. Otherwise, I'd steer him toward the '00 my boss is trying to sell.

TEX

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
SlamChops said:
so you say your buddy pulls a jeep on trailer with a 5.3? it do alright at highway speeds? on steep grades? i towed my toy this past weekend and it didnt do too bad, but its pretty flat around here. i want to tow it up to tellico and grey rock, but i'm not sure how well the 5.3 will do on the grades. (sorry for the hijack)

Does just fine on the grades, nothing to brag about interms of passing with the trailer on the hills but it holds its speed well, dont be bashfull about twisting it to 4500 rpm and a little more his does just fine for a budget tow rig. Flat towing is non issue, goes 75 MPH down the road. I would say your going to be working it just like he does. but its been a champ since day 1 and has pulled alot of grades. Steep grade 8-10% have been 2nd gear screaming but usually with t he race car in tow in that case.

It works, gets the job done, has its draw backs, not like a big block or bombed diesel but it gets you there and gets goo mileage.

he also load the piss out of it and drags his chevy II Nova down to the race track with all tools during the summer. Id say the best way is Rent one for a weekend or barrow one if you know someone who has one tell them your thinking about it and would like to try pulling the route your talking about. thats the best way IMPO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We went over to the Chevy Dealer today and learned *a lot*.

1) I thought I wanted "barn doors" and discovered I do not.
2) Sarah thought the 'burb was huge and was insisting on a Tahoe...but after the test drive, she changed her mind and likes them. :) (In fact, she liked it better than some of the smaller vehicles we were considering, and sounded disappointed when I said my time frame is spring-ish). :D

Thanks for all the info and opinions from everyone, I think that while not quite the powerstroke PU I wanted, this will work pretty well out here, especially for flat towing an extremely light YJ.

SO, we talked a little about models and years, and I guess we got some deciding to do. The Z71 *looks* cooler, and I like the beefier roof rack (for some things Sarah has in mind for carrying), but also liked the "autoride" option of the LT. In either case, I'm sure it'll come down to finding the best one for the best price with the low miles, etc. And said 02 was the earliest she'd consider, with a preference for 03 or 04...

RickyR said:
Josh, When did you leave Charleston?
To answer on my experiences, I tow my CJ on a trailer with my '99 K2500 Suburban. It is a 7.4 with 4.10 gears. It does get shitty fuel economy, but I am happy with the vehicle in general. I use mine as a DD, and sleep in it when camping. I just had my computer re-programmed by Lyndon at Wester's garage. I was getting approx. 7.9mpg while towing, and about 11 around town, after the new computer, I got 9.2 towing, and not sure about around town yet (just got back from Tellico).
My wife drives a '98 K1500 Tahoe with a 350, and she loves it. I'm sure it would be very capable to flat tow your jeep.
I feel either vehicle would be sufficient for towing, but another reason for driving the larger vehicles, is safety!!!! Tonnage rules always apply...
Ricky...seeya...
Hey Ricky!
We came out here mid summer. Found out my 2.5L YJ wasn't much in the mountains. :laughing: How's things in SC?

The point you made is *exactly* what kind of sold Sarah on the 'burb vs. tahoe....just sheer weight and wheelbase for towing. (And an anecdote on another board about a squirrely blazer or tahoe with a big trailer).

Plus...with my height, I'd never be able to sleep in anything shorter than that or an excursion (or PU...). :D

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If she likes the Suburban, than I would recommend going for a 3/4 ton (2500) model. That would give you the stronger 6.0L engine and 4L80e trans, and better suspension and brakes. I tow around 8,500 lbs. with my 6.0L powered 2500HD pickup all the time so flat-towing a Jeep with a 6.0L would be effortless........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6.2Blazer said:
If she likes the Suburban, than I would recommend going for a 3/4 ton (2500) model. That would give you the stronger 6.0L engine and 4L80e trans, and better suspension and brakes. I tow around 8,500 lbs. with my 6.0L powered 2500HD pickup all the time so flat-towing a Jeep with a 6.0L would be effortless........

My neighbor was just emailing me about that (with a bunch of ads from autotrader) :laughing:

I may try for that, since she couldn't complain about increased size... :D

Thanks for the heads up. :beer:

-josh

·
Registered
849 Posts
FreeRide said:
Diesel Tahoe?? I dont think that this exists, wish it did though.
Sure it does. Have seen plenty of them, but i do have a Diesel shop, and deal with the 6.5L alot. Most places won't touch them.
brian.
:)

·
Registered
849 Posts
m016324 said:

'-ben
Thtas wierd, since I have worked on them in four door suburbans, unless somehow they made a suburban that was not four doors, which I have yet to see.

granted, the years he is looking for make sthe point useless.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts