Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right

First off a big thanks to Adam and the guys at Wide Open Design for giving me dibs on the first one :D

Secondly props to my wife for making this happen, what an awesome surprise. (My wife is always super cool sorry fawkers no pics:flipoff2:)

On with some pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We drove out to Tennessee from California to pick it up, got to see the shop, meet some cool people and alot of country side:laughing:

I met XRnut he's a cool guy I didn't get a picture of him, I didn't wanna come across as weird the first time I met him:laughing:

This isn't gonna be a speed build we plan on skipping Hammers this next year and alot of parts will be coming from the runner that was built a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This won't be a race car, but I want it to work better at higher speeds the runner was good for about 40 MPH then it felt like it was gonna fall apart.

So right now the parts consist of a 14 bolt in the rear an atlas 4 speed an LS1, next year I plan on buying the REID turbo 400 case and outfitting that. I have had horrible luck with automatic transmissions and have never had an auto in any of my offroad rigs so I'm hoping that going this direction I will have some trouble free years of fun. The front axle is up in the air I'm currently running a Chevy DANA 60 I have never had a problem with it but I find the driveline angles suck so I'm contemplating Having a ford housing retubed to the passenger side and Using my Chevy shafts and outers. Currently I'm running FOA 2.5 coilovers up front in the runner as well as their bumpstops but after not being able to find any support at hammers this year after blowing out a bump stop I plan on going with King or Fox I contemplated ORI and did a bunch of research but in the end there is no replacing a physical spring.

I'm sure the build will be the average build and nothing that hasn't been done before but I'm stoked to finally be able to build something that no one else has had their grubby little dick beaters on

As for why I didn't build my own chassis. IT WOULDA LOOKED LIKE SPAGHETTI:flipoff2:

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
badass :smokin: im glad you got the chassis you wanted, and its always great to see a rockbouncer chassis over on the west coast :grinpimp:

if you end up going with a ford diff in the front you should toss some d70 gears with 35 spline pinion into it with a jana kit

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
badass :smokin: im glad you got the chassis you wanted, and its always great to see a rockbouncer chassis over on the west coast :grinpimp:

if you end up going with a ford diff in the front you should toss some d70 gears with 35 spline pinion into it with a jana kit
Jess the front axle is so up in the air at this point what I really want to do is a 14 rotated to a decent set up but the angle worries me. Some preliminary measurements are already requiring another carrier bearing set up which is what I was trying to get away from:(

where in CA are you? looks like one of our tanks in the front of your yard...

I'm in northern California, Lake county to be exact.

There is actually a really funny story about that tank and my wife but that's a tale for a different day LOL

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does ypur propane company start with an F and end in gas?

I won't even bullshit ya lol.

It was Amerigas for the first month.

The wife called them and they had the balls to tell her they were the only company in the area LITERALLY when she asked me later that day I laughed about it. At that point she called them back and told them that there was no need to come refill the tank.

Unfortunately propane here is EXTREMELY expensive no matter who you go thru

That tank has long been disconnected and we have gone full electric.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
Jess the front axle is so up in the air at this point what I really want to do is a 14 rotated to a decent set up but the angle worries me. Some preliminary measurements are already requiring another carrier bearing set up which is what I was trying to get away from:(
when in the front the 14b with its pinion offset to the driver side and wide center section makes packaging a passenger drop axle difficult. im putting a cummins and a 727 auto in the buggy and have to go back to a carrier bearing to push my drive line over to clear the tranny, with my leaf springs the pinion is only like 4" away from the center of the chassis :(

in an ideal build i would put the engine and tranny/tcase in the chassis and put the axle pinion where it needs to be, then just tube the axle out to your desired wms

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
have you considered selling the yota to buy new/used/different parts? you could then go to a driver drop transfer case and build this chassis how you really want instead of building around old parts, since your dick beater hands have been all over them and all :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really dig the lines of these chassis. There is a guy just down the road from you who does LS harnesses when you get that far. 12volt unlimited, great guy to deal with.

Actually his daughters grandfather literally lives next door :laughing:

We've met and I see him now and again.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a little bit of progress this evening

Mind you there are like 4 different projects going on here because we moved out of our shop space a month before we went to pick up the chassis.

I have an LS1 at the machine shop but I also have this 5.3 Sittin around as well as a 2wd TH400, I figure I'll buy a mock up atlas from stinky fab and pull the tail housing off of the 400 and then sell the 2wd trans when I'm done with this stage.
We put the LS1 pan and intake on the mock up motor for actual heights and get the chassis over them to start getting an idea of where things will go.

I also have a dodge/Chevy Dana 60 that can be used for mock up to a certain point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I did a grip load of research before I bought the LS1 because I was actually looking for a 5.3 and perhaps I missed it or forgot it, but I didn't realize or forgot any of the 5.3's came with cathedral port heads.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small update:)

After a lot of internal debate and reasoning I took JDWeeler to P&P today and came home with these.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts