Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I know that the revolver shackles work very good in rockcrawling, but they work in mud???? I really want to know im very closed to buy them but in my country is just mud... are they helpfull in the performance??

thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
No. Just build a suspension system that works. Revolver shackles in my opinion are a bandaid for poorly designed/applied suspension systems. In theory they work but for "my" purposes they do not.
Dan

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The pivot type of shackle is only a band aid for shorter leaf-springs IMO. if you have long leafs, you can get allot of flex out of them before you need a pivot setup. There are a number of pivot setups out there that are good for crawling, but are scary on the road. One setup I saw is that the attachment for the leafs is on a bolt pivot parallel to the frame. The shackle is a modified revolver style with the same parallel bolt setup. Thats all great, but the vehicle just folds over the suspension when taking a corner if I remember correctly.

I have made a few sets of revolver style shackles back in high school and only one set remained on a vehicle longer then a month. All were eventually thrown into the scrap metal pile. And no, my shitty fab skills were not to blame:flipoff2:.

What the problem is most of the time is when you head downhill the shackles unload making you roll ass over the top down the hill. That and they require a longer spline drive shaft.

But if you want to try out a set just make some! Cheap, easy enough, just don't forget a stop, so they don't fold over forward on themselves. Go make a set and you'll get what I mean.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
HI, I know that the revolver shackles work very good in rockcrawling
Who told you that? The general feeling on these shackles is they bring the suck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW! i dindnt know of that! so they dont work very good.. that`s good to know!

Someone else??

Thanks guys for all the information!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Someone else??
Well, OK then, I'll chime in too.....THEY SUCK ASS!

I have rebuilt leaf spring suspensions many times that did have Revolvers on them and everytime I do the rig ends up with more flex than before, less wheel hop (axle wrap), and handles way better on the street.

Once again....THEY SUCK ASS!

OK, I'm done.

Oh, and just my .02

·
Registered
14 Posts
i would avoid revolvers altogether, they can perform well, but running these shackles can break things VERY quickly. so yes, you can get good extension out of them- but the cost of repairs completely outways running them in my opinion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts