Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,546 Posts
KC_JoNeS said:
Why dont you give some more info? RH vs LH?

What? T-case? Steering wheel? What? What vehicle? Need more info. Around these parts you have to be specific or......
......... Youll get your head ripped off:flipoff2:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the only thing that came up in the search was something about IFS steering boxes. Mainly I was just throwing an idea out there to the forum to see if any of you had done something similar. I came across this website of a guy up in BC that imports Hi-Luxes from Japan to Canadia. They are really cool and I want one. I don't really want to have a RH car for many reasons, a major one is if I ever jump in it after a few frosty beverages it would be very tempting to drive it on the 'right' side of the road some night! I have also done some research and I belive that vehicles under 20 years old that were not offered for orignal sale in the US are a stone bitch to import. Thus my wondering that I might just be able to switch the dash from RH to LH, if not too difficult. Drive it up to customs and hope they don't notice. Or you might be able to bring one into the US as a 'trail only' rig, buy a real cheapie from some guy and make some creative adjustments to the licensing.
But you can't argue with a factory diesel, straight axle, double cab rig.
http://www.mustang.bc.ca/lc.htm
How about the yellow one?

· Registered
2,546 Posts
Dude you are seriously stupid for wanting to even think of "hopping behind the wheel after a few frosty beverages" in the first place!:flipoff:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, no, I meant Mr. Pibb- it goes straight to the brain!
Ok, I went off half cocked on the Rh to LH thing. I actually made some phone calls and the RH drive thing is not even an issue, the main issue would be whether or not the 2L-T motor was imported by Toyota to the US. Or if you could get Toyota to send you a letter certifying that the 2L-T was EPA compliant. I suspect that it would be. I talked to the seller of the vehicles in Canada and from his end there were several different options to getting the vehicle into the US. But this would actually be pretty damn cool if a guy could do it, all it would take though is one minor bureaucrat in the customs, DOL, or State Patrol to derail this plan.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
What ever floats you boat.

· Wicked Raciest !
16,557 Posts
It is called "Gray Market" and they are a real bitch to get reg. in the good old US of A!!!! As far as RHD to LHD, why it would be cool to wheel one!!! As far as drinking and driving, do not be an ASSHAT!!!!!!:D

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe in Cali dude. But, I just spent all day on the phone up here in WA trying to get a straight answer and I think I finally got a reasonable one. As long as a vehicle is registered in Canadia, and has an EPA sticker it can be brought across the border no problem. If it is a truck, it does not need an EPA sticker, but you must pay a tariff of 25% on the worth of the vehicle. The WA state patrol has no problems with a RH drive vehicle and no problems with a four door Toyota, the guy I talked to said if I did it I had to bring it by so he could check it out. DOL has no problem registering the vehicle to me as long as the title is clear. So at this point I am pretty damn close to taking some money out of the bank and just doing it.

· Registered
309 Posts
Rus, Keep in mind the vehicles mustang.bc.ca sells were not intended for the Canadian market so they will not have an EPA/DOT sticker. Historically Toyota has not been cooperative with consumers trying to bring vehicles from Canada or any other countries. Many guys have tried to import Canadian model diesel Land Cruisers and Toyota would not even lift a finger to help. I've heard of only one instance where the owner came up with a letter from Toyota stating that the vehicle was substantially similar to their US vehicles. I suspect they would not do that to a double cab Hilux in the years they never imported here either, but it doesn't hurt trying.

What you have got going for you is the 2L-T is similar to the US/Canadian legal engine although it was only certified in a short time period (what is it, 84-87?) so hopefully the truck you are trying to import falls in those years. And the WA state DOL has no problems registering the vehicle without the DOT/EPA papers as long as the title is clear.

As Lord Orange said, you can legally bring it into the US without the DOT/EPA approval if it is intended as a parts vehicle or off highway truck.

Good luck!
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.