Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have a 2006 chevy 2500 duramax, crew cab and 8 foot bed. I have a 6 inch lift and i currently live in Wisconsin. Im starting to see surface rust on the frame and i am concerned if left as is i will start to have problems. I came to the conclusion i want to sand blast the frame and underside of the body and bed and then Rhino Line the frame and the entire truck. I would like some feed back here to see if i should or should not, approximate costs, any known places, or any better ideas.

Thanks,
Steve

:tank: :usa:

·
Read Only
461 Posts
Rhino line

I would say not to, A friend did a boat trailer, rust ended up hiding under the coating, becoming much worse than if he was able to see it, you will never be able to completely encapsulate all of it, and you'll have water under the coating.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
POR 15 is pretty popular, I'm told it's awesome at preventing rust though I've never used it myself.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Por is pretty good shit. I used it on a trailer I built about 7 years ago, hasn't rusted yet. You have to watch it though, it will fade in direct sunlight. It's not uv safe.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Yup POR I did my jeep frame like 3 years before I had started the frame off resto. When the blaster asked me what kind of paint it was because it was really stuck on there I knew it must be good. Yes it does fade but if you have the time/cash they do have a topcoat but I wasn't doing 2 coats lol. And get gloves that shit stains your hands like crazy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Por 15 is pretty good. I use this stuff made by sherwin williams called coal tar. that stuff is industrial rated for sewage lines and shit. just don't get any on you cuz its not coming off. use it for boats and boat trailers nothing has rusted yet.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I was told to use por15 on my frame, then to topcoat only where the sunlight is going to hit it since it doesnt have uv protectant. I bought the topcoat and did exactly that. Where it was top coated its really hard and tough, so far 2 good n salty winters and it still looks good. I did it in steps to save money, i wirebrushed the loose stuff off, pressure washed with degreaser, used their metal prep solvent (came in a kit with a quart of por paint with brushes and spray bottles). Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt, or make sure you wipe it off while its wet...after that its a real bitch. To do 2 coats on my 03 2500hd frame i used 2 quarts of por satin black and a pint of satin black topcoat. For me Eastwood company is here in pa. They have decent prices with free shipping on ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts