Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has not been published on the EDNF website and was only sent to a handful of people.

I question how they can effectively "review with the public the Forest’s ideas for maintenance on the route" without publishing notification of the tour to the public?

A little more notice would be nice along with tours that take place on weekends so folks don't have to take time off work.

More transparency and consideration would be greatly appreciated Mr. Thornburgh and Mr. Crabtree.

Whether or not you are planning to attend, you might consider mentioning these and other issues regarding "working together" to these folks.

Here is the content of the Richardson Lake Trail Tour. Since they are including content information, I'll assume this is okay to post to the public.

I've already got a few drivers lined up to get everyone out there.

The Pacific Ranger District is planning a field visit on June 25, 2014 to Forest Road 14N39 that accesses Richardson Lake. The objective of the field visit is to review with the public the Forest’s ideas for maintenance on the route from Miller Creek to and including Meadow 14N39-7 just south of Richardson Lake (Phase 1). Anyone interested in attending the field visit should contact me, Richard Thornburgh at [email protected] or 530-644-2349 by June 23, 2014.

There will also be another field visit on July 16, 2014, to review possible solutions for the portion of 14N39 from Meadow 14N39-7, past Richardson Lake, to Sourdough Hill (Phase 2). Anyone interested in attending the second field visit for Phase II should contact Diana Erickson at [email protected] or 530-621-5214 by July 10, 2014.

Richard Thornburgh

Pacific District Ranger

Eldorado National Forest

7887 Highway 50

Pollock Pines, CA 95726

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
14N39 Phase 1 Implementation

Update on progress and plan:

• Our equipment operator completed heavy equipment operations this past week.

• Operator was able to complete rolling dip reconstruction at Meadows 14N39-2 and -3, which were ideas that we incorporated from fieldtrip participants.

• There were two other ideas offered up by fieldtrip participants that we tried to incorporate in our plan, although not necessary to meet S&G 100: (1) the outsloping of road at Meadow -1, and (2) an additional rolling dip 50 feet above the hardened crossing at Meadow -5. We were not able to accomplish these due to operability constraints that became apparent once we had the equipment operator on the ground. We plan to add gravel at the proposed dip location in Meadow -5, but this will not be required for re-opening.

• At Meadow -5, we were not able to complete one rolling dip at 50’ upslope of the meadow rolling dip due to operability constraints, but were able to complete the dip at 100’ upslope. Each of the two rolling dips we reconstructed at Meadow -5 will be armored with a 30 foot stretch of compacted gravel, over the top and on both approaches.

• A volunteer work trip is being planned for July 12-13. Let us know if you wish to help.

Richard Thornburgh
Pacific District Ranger
Eldorado National Forest

7887 Highway 50
Pollock Pines, CA 95726
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
The ENF is requiring more than 25 yards of material for this 'fix'.

That's more than 50 trips.

An hour and a half for each trip.

75+ hours of hauling.

With seven trailers, that's 10+ hours of driving

I'm still trying to get this scaled back.

:jeep:

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Thanks to everyone involved!

I got them down to 16 yards. Here's the update:

We had a good turnout. Five trailers and one full size pick-up moving gravel (gravel/dirt/binder mix - like road base) the first day and three trailers running the second day. I didn't count but probably 20 people the first day and 7 or 8 the next day.

The group built to rolling dips with the 'gravel', we covered about seven features with gravel, about 150' of trail. We hand moved rock so the FS could rock line the sediment trap at the first 'meadow'.

Once the gravel was dumped (Thank you RTF for the trailers, we had two working both days) the volunteers spread it to the depth required by the FS. The FS then sprayed it with water to activate the binding agent and then ran a 'vibra-plate' compactor over every square foot of gravel to pack it down. They were there very late on Sunday finishing that off, we left.

Special thanks to Mike for feeding us BOTH days.

The FS did install a fence further up the trail, past the last 'meadow' we fixed but before the last 'meadow' issue. They were to drive to the last meadow, turn around, drive down and place the gate at the first wide spot (to allow people to turn around) that was not a arch site.

The last meadow needs a re-route. We will be on the trail Wed to find the new route. There will be NEPA and the rest of the studies that go with it. Best case is we find a route on Wed, study it and plan it over the winter, and build it in 2015. Because it is a brand new road cut in the forest, it will need to 'winter' once before it can be driven, so look for it to open in 2016.

I will be pushing HARD for a temporary fix of that meadow so we can access the summit while the re-route is being planned and built. Stay tuned.

I didn't get pictures but I think the FS did. I'll try and get a few. Nothing exciting to see we put gravel on the ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts