Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TORC Founder Ricky Johnson Has Some Un-finished Business on the Track –
Steps Down as TORC Promoter to Continue Driving Career In 2010

February 10, 2010 (Corona, CA) – Ricky Johnson, AMA Hall-of-Famer and TORC Series founder, announced today that he will put aside his promoter hat and pursue racing full-time in 2010 in the Traxxas TORC Series that he founded in February of 2009. Johnson, a past Pro 2 Champion and Mickey Thompson Series veteran, will continue to work in an advisory capacity.

“While I thought last year that I could hang up my helmet and focus on the promotion side of things, I realize that I am not ready to give up chasing and winning championships”, stated Johnson from his Orange County office. “I’m really proud of what we have started at TORC and I support and believe in where the future direction TORC is headed 100%.” Johnson continued: “I can step away this year knowing that TORC and its strong support from sponsors and drivers will take this sport to the next level. We have a great long-range plan for the future of the series and the strong sponsor commitment to make it happen. Mitch Covington is very focused, capable and determined to succeed and I am confident TORC will exceed expectations as we go forward.”

Johnson’s announcement leaves co-founder Mitch Covington at the reigns of the Monster Energy owned series. Covington had this to say about Johnson and his announcement: “I just want to thank RJ for everything he and his family have sacrificed getting TORC off the ground and this sacrifice won’t be forgotten. The countless hours and tireless effort that RJ put towards the series will be missed indeed. His vision, passion and commitment to the sport of short course off-road racing has and will continue to have a huge impact towards taking this sport to another level. RJ just took the ball and ran with it at a time when the sport needed him most. I don’t plan on him getting too far away and look forward to his input as we go forward because no one wants TORC to succeed any more than Ricky Johnson.”

1 - 1 of 1 Posts