Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a chevy 350 out of a 72 monte carlo supposably it has around 40K miles on it. I pulled it apart mostly and everything seems in pretty good shape, but the cylnders have a very slight ridge in them. when i started to use a ridge reamer it only seemed to remove material from the top of the bore and not from the ridge. I dont get it how am I supposed to remove the ridge without makeing the top of the bore to big?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks, so I guess i can expect it to remove some material from the top before it gets the ridge? and i should just keep mic ing it as I go so i dont take too much?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
joefear7 said:
cool thanks, so I guess i can expect it to remove some material from the top before it gets the ridge? and i should just keep mic ing it as I go so i dont take too much?
YEP......NOW GET BUSY:D

·
Registered
600 Posts
you are removing the ridge where the rings never go so you dont stretch something and the rings get broken against the ridge

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kd7srj said:
you are removing the ridge where the rings never go so you dont stretch something and the rings get broken against the ridge
Im not sure what your saying here ... stretch? hugh?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
New rings (especially on new pistons) may hit the rigde when the engine is running if you put it back together without removing the ridge.

Usually, a ridge that can be caught with your fingertnail means you need to bore the cylinders to get them back square

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so then if theres only a very slight ridge do you even need to ream it? cuz theres only about 40k on this motor and the ridge was so minimul that i could push the pistons out by hand.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If you can't catch your fingernail on the ridge, then just hone the cylinders with a flex hone or a 3 stone hone till it smooths out

YOu need to do this anyways to break the glaze on the cylinders for good ring seal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts