Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a group of highly modified Toyotas that will be running the trail July 2nd through 5th. Quite a few of the group members have ran the trail multiple times before. I have a buddy that would like to bring his truck and enjoy the trail with us BUT many of the experienced Rubicon runners in the group think that he will have too much trouble to complete the trail without holding us up. He would be wheeling a '94 toyota pickup with the 3.slow, SAS, welded rear, open front, 36'' Iroks, bobbed bed, and some tube. He is also an experienced wheeler. What are your opinions on his rigs capability? Are there bypasses that he can take on the more difficult obstacles? Is he just asking to break something with his setup or if he is smart will it last? Any opinions would be great!

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
IMO, he'll be just fine. A good driver with the Toy you described shouldn't have any trouble ;)

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
They know that stock jeeps with 30 inch tires putt down the con right?
A toy with 36's will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
my flat fender with only Ploks front and rear on 31's made it through a week ago. my CJ7 before the 35's had no problems on 32's coming out in rear wheel drive only up cadilac minus a quick tug or two with the winch.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I did it last summer in an 87 4runner on 33"tires, IFS with 4" lift, locked rear, posi front. I had ZERO problems, never got stuck and no body damage. your buddy will be fine as long as he can drive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thats what I was thinking but just wasn't sure since I have never been. I read that lightly modified jeeps and Toyota's can do just fine, but wasn't sure if that was the truth. I really appreciate the info guys, can wait to get there!

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I just finished running the trail for the first time. I honestly don't see how anything with less that 33" would even be able to bash their way through..... especially Old Sluice. There would have been no chance IMO without at least a rear locker. I was lucky and have front and rear lockers and never touched the winch.....on this trip.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
So I just finished running the trail for the first time. I honestly don't see how anything with less that 33" would even be able to bash their way through..... especially Old Sluice. There would have been no chance IMO without at least a rear locker. I was lucky and have front and rear lockers and never touched the winch.....on this trip.
My quad doesn't have 33"s :confused:
This was your first time to remember, ppl who go a bunch know 'the lines' to make it `uber easy. A noob on 31s compared to someone who's been there before on 31s is a big difference. Also, a new person to 4x4 and someone who's done it 20 years... some people can read lines some can not. Etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
All good points. I wasn't including the tire size comment for the "quad crowd".

·
Registered
262 Posts
it would make us toyota guys sad if you couldnt make it:smokin:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
most fun I have had on the 'con was in the old days of open/open and 31" tires. Rocker protection was really all I needed and it took some finess and driving skill to get around the 90 just past gatekeeper and other interesting section. No, I never did the little sluice, but still had fun.

guys with hardcore rigs will be disappointed by the Rubicon. Its about the scenery, history and camraderie, and not about hardcore wheeling.

SeanP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts