Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am running 39.5 Iroks on 15" rims..I am purchasing new beadlock rims and debating on whether or not I should jump up to a 17" rim on my FJ40. Just wanted some insite on whether or not its really worth it (new tire purchase and all) to make the switch?!?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
IMO with that much sidewall a 17" rim makes a difference. I hate blowing inner beads and too much tire roll. I wouldnt mind 20" on 42's but the tire selection just isnt there (Krawler, Maxxis, ect.).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I saw a pic of a guy on here awhile back and he had 44's on a 15" wheel, with a giant rip in the sidewall, that is what made me choose 20" wheels for my 49's, I was happy and didnt have any problems, the rim soaked up alot that the tire would have had to otherwise, I guess I am saying that since you are going to new tires I would go with the 17" wheel, good luck man.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DUBS on crawlers!! lol BLING! BLING!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Ok so I am running 39.5 Iroks on 15" rims..I am purchasing new beadlock rims and debating on whether or not I should jump up to a 17" rim on my FJ40. Just wanted some insite on whether or not its really worth it (new tire purchase and all) to make the switch?!?
Depends.. Are you at the limit for your axles, meaning you'll likely have a new bolt pattern when you go bigger?

If so, I'd save the cost of new tires, too.

If not (you've already got a 60 or something), then yeah, it'll pay off later.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I could say I had D60's! but i have longfields in front and stock landcruiser axles in rear!

·
Registered
928 Posts
You should think about how much sidewall your going to expose. There is a certain amount of to little and to much. 17's I think would be a good fit but what others have said be careful of your choice it may bring linitations of choice of tires and or change of axles/bolt pattern etc. Its the pits to buy something only to find out later that you have to change something else just to make your new purchase fit.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I got 39.5's on 20's I have been currently running 6 psi to get them to grab enough on the rocks. kinda sucks when you want to go fast because you can bottom out the tire on the rim pretty easy. I would step up to a 42" but I am not going to run radials or buy another set of double beadlocks just to get them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts