Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen people running 16.5 rims on mog axles alot, but they mostly have the 8 lug disk brake conversion. So, can i run a 16.5 rim on a stock mog with stock drums and bolt pattern? can i offset the rim as far in as i want, or will i start rubbing anything? if so, what is the the farthest in i can offset them??

thanx a bunch
Dale

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dale,

There are two major options on this. There are custom one piece steel wheels which are made for the 404 axle available from a few sources. Those wheels require you to trim the drum and backing plate. Then there are the military Hummer wheels which, due to their two piece design, do not require you to trim the drums and backing plates. They also benefit from beadlock options which some people say is a must with the 16.5" tire bead (or lack there of ; ) The Hummer wheels have a limited backspacing of about 4" before they would contact the drum/backing plate. My Hummer wheels are already ordered (USA 6x6 : )

Tom Meisch
Rochester, NY

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
can i use just regular 16.5" rims from a junckjard and put beadlocks on them "homemade", and backspace them? i plan on making my own centers

·
Registered
18 Posts

Dale,

With a little "will" and a mig welder anything can be done ; )

I know the custom wheels are of a heavier than usual steel for durability issues. The other catch will be the side profile of the actual wheel you choose (see pic). Even though the mounting lip is 16.5" on all 16.5" wheels, the center section on some may be only 11" to clear a 10" brake drum. If that were the case you would have to limit your backspacing to about an inch because the center section of the wheel will never clear the Mog drums. Does that make sense? This is where the Hummer wheels are unique. Due to their two piece design and very deep backspacing originally, the center section (smallest inside diameter) is about 14" (do not have exact measurement). I know Daniel cuts his centers to 15 5/8" which is roughly the inside diameter of the actual center of the rim.

I hope this makes sense. If I lost you let me know and I ll PM you with better pictures to explain : )

Tom Meisch
Rochester, NY

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, i understand just fine, hummer rims are lookin reel good at this point. thanx a bunch man:) :)

Dale

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dale,

And if you still want to do the budget/home grown thing, I have seen used complete Hummer wheels for $25-30 a piece. They show up on Ebay occassionally. There are some dealers that sell them for $50 or so. Check out USA6x6.com. He has a lot of good info even if you do not buy from him. Also try gohumvee.com. He is just a Hummer fanatic who has the most Hummer wheel details in one spot.

You are always welcome : )

Tom Meisch
Rochester, NY

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Nope.

But you could try your E-Maxx wheels :D .........they might work. Oh wait, they'd probably work better on the Halfy...

Later.

Ken S.

·
Registered
250 Posts
wasnt thinking before I asked that one! humvees are 8 lug, mog is 6. duhhh. I tried the EMAXX wheels on the Mog, they fit great. I'll try to take a picture of it... :0

See you Ken!

rg

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Chevy40 said:
If you trim down the backing plate and drum can you run more BS with hummer rims. I need more bs than 4"
How are you going to use this rig? Rockcrawling only and No highway speeds? I ask this cause with that much back spacing the heat produced at the axle ends will be trapped into the drum and all that backspacing. This will cause you problems. That is one of the reasons for the disk brake kits. These open up that area and lets the heat out. I dont know if this "heat" issue comes up at rockcrawling speeds with drum brakes and lots of backspacing.

Mud use... thats a different situation cause the mud also packs in there and further lets things heat up. The Mog axle upgrade guys (Wolfgang, RyeGuy etc) can better answer these questions.

about cann you physically do that much backspacing by grinding and trimming... I cant answer that sorry. Anyone else?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not really keen on going for more than about 4.25 inches backspacing on a 16.5" rim, even after all the trimming, etc. I actually like to stop at 4 inches. When you're hard on the truck, an aired down tire can flex all kinds of crazy ways, and I want to keep a bit of distance between the rubber and the portal housing. I've personally measured the upper half of the (44 inch) tire on my Blazer flexing over a half-inch (due to rubbing marks) when doing fun-but-not-that-stupid things.

There are a few companies building bolt-on 16.5 and 17" rims for Mogs now. I'd go with these before welding a flat plate into an existing rim (like a Hummer) 'cause we've found that the flat plate (even 3/8") will bend and then you've got problems. If the plate has been pressed and has a few bends to add some strength, then you should be okay. Hummer rims are great, you just gotta make sure that the mod's are "right".

I've got one customer with 15" rims on his Mog drums...:D ...so even that's possible! But the truck is rather "unique". Hope to have pics of it on my website over the next week or so.

--Rob
www.exaxt.ca

·
Registered
319 Posts
coachgeo said:

Speak of the devil...... and he appears. :flipoff2: :D :D :p

Whaz up Rob? How's it going?
*laugh*

Can I sleep now? I'm still finishing up my Ph.D. and that's eating up an insane number of hours. Tomorrow is shop time (absolutely have to), but then right back to this Ph.D.

--Rob

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
ryeguy said:

*laugh*

Can I sleep now? I'm still finishing up my Ph.D. and that's eating up an insane number of hours. Tomorrow is shop time (absolutely have to), but then right back to this Ph.D.

--Rob
ok...... time to get up... I let you knapp long enough now.... :flipoff2:

What you doing ur Phd. in?

·
Registered
319 Posts
coachgeo said:

What you doing ur Phd. in?
Computer Science. I wrote my own operating system in some 5-6 weeks! It's just writing it up now, which I have more trouble with than most anything else. But this whole degree is too many years in the making, it's time to wrap it up.

--Rob (B.Sc., M.Sc., P.E. (st), and soon Ph.D.)!
www.exaxt.ca

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Amen to ya........ to everything their must be an end. Im sure u will feel so releaved when u finish. Seems to me when goal is achieved everyone around you benefits in one way or another.... so Im guessing the rest of the family will be happy fer ya when ur finished as well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey Rob,
With all that education I hope you would at least remember one thing. You've got to get out and have some fun sometimes or you'll just drive yourself batty. My mom has numerous degrees and she works herself silly. Relax and go have one of those Canadian dark beers from that cool pub down the street. Have one for me and Rhandi, too!
Travis

P.S. I like your revised website.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
MOGXJ44 said:
Hey Rob,
With all that education I hope you would at least remember one thing. You've got to get out and have some fun sometimes or you'll just drive yourself batty. My mom has numerous degrees and she works herself silly. Relax and go have one of those Canadian dark beers from that cool pub down the street. Have one for me and Rhandi, too!
Travis

P.S. I like your revised website.
Nah.... what he needs is a WHOLE 404 mog!! :flipoff2: This will slow him down some :D Put a camper on it... Drive it to family four wheeling events on occasional weekends . The slow jaunt to the camp site(all 404 trips are slow:D) and back will give the whole family time to smell the roses. If he dont have a family yet then all the woman gawking at it might just help start one ;)

Gawddddd... maybe I should try that! hmmm Maybe do a little daily driving in my Mog and talking to the lady gawkers.... hmmmm.. "Hi" "Suzie" "yeah its me.. the guy u meet that had the funny truck" "Anyway.... on our date tonight"..... "would u rather I pick you up in my Jeep or in the Mercedes"? :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts