Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I've been defeated by rims on my Land Cruiser time and time again, and as I sit here contemplating the purchase of yet *another* set (the sixth one on this Cruiser alone), I really, *really* want to try to get it right this time. So I'm asking for your help!

First a little background. The Cruiser needs no introduction, she's a tall, heavy bitch running 35x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10" steel rims with a 4" backspacing. In the front I have 1/2" All-Pro spacers with longer studs. I like the stability both on and off road, but I don't like how the wider rims affected the steering. What I *really* don't like is how vulnerable the rims seem to be to rocks, I've munched the edges of all four rims pretty bad, to the point where one of them screwed up the bead on one of my tires. Besides that, the truck looks kinda goofy, like a skateboard.

Thus, I'd like to get back to 8" rims, I really liked the way my truck tracked with them (previous to the current set I ran 15x8" widened stock FJ40 rims with 3.5" backspacing) and the rim edge seemed better protected by the tires. I am aware that I will lose some stability, especially off-camber, but here's what I thought I could do.

Before you ask, this truck was built for medium to hard wheeling, I'll gladly run something like Pritchett Canyon but it will not see any extreme trails.

With 10" rims and 4" backspacing, my axles would end up being just as wide with 8" rims with 2" backspacing, right? Since I want to move up to 37x12.5 MT/R's in the mid-future, I figured I'd order a set of Rockstomper custom steel rims in 8" wide with a 2" custom backspacing and run these, but I'm worried that the 2" backspacing will make the rims weaker and they won't stand up to the abuse of a heavy truck. Does this make sense?

Running beadlocks is out of the question because this is a daily driver and there's no way I'm going to be re-tightening bolts on a regular basis. I also do not consider aluminum rims an option, call it Third World paranoia if you will.

What do you think, should I go ahead and order the sixth set of rims? Do you think they'll stand up to the abuse, or am I deluding myself?

I'm still considering dearching the OME's to lose some height, that should also help with the stability factor....

Any thoughts/comments welcome, I'm putting way too much thought into this (as I usually do with all Cruiser mods) and while my budget is by no means ample, I'd rather spend a little more money up front and not have to think about @#$%&* rims every few years...

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If u dont mind bein regular i would go with the AR767's. Good strong rim and CHEAP! :D

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
No Henry they only come in the 3.75" BS but, we have put them on tons of 60's and 40's and one 80 with no problems at all.
You can't use the clip on style inside weght, use stick ons. The punch out holes have a lip that sometimes rub on the caliper, they will clearance themselves or you can knock the caliper donw a bit.
Butch

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I like the Unique white spokes in 3.75", these fit my 60,45, 62,55 ect with no spacers, no grinding(the D cut out is flat, no lip) if you don't like white(and I don't) paint them the color of your choice, oh and they are cheap, $30ish a wheel.

John H

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You said you don't like the steering right now. The more backspacing, the better the steering...less force is used to turn the tire. Yes, I can see that a 10" wide wheel could offer stability, and an 8" wheel will offer protection. I think the choice is up to you.

If it were me, I would go with some champion bead locked rims. I had them on my last cruiser....I never tightened the bolts once...not for over a year! They never leaked...just my $.02

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Henry -

I had some 15 x 8 with a 2" BS made for my new tires. I really like them, and they were very affordable. They were purchased from Summit, and the wheels were made by US wheel.

If you are interested in EXACTLY how I did it or want a pic, email me directly.

Jim

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
got to www.rockcrawler.com and click the link for highimpac wheels they will build what ever back spaceing you want got a set of 15x14 8-6.5 7.5 in back spacing :D try askin for that one 3 places said no but that did it no extra charge :eek:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I got a friend of mine some black rockcrawlers in a 15x8 with 2.5 backspacing for his 40. I sell those wheels where i work, i didn't even have to have them made, they were in one of my wharehouses in Cali, and he got 'em in about 5 days. If thats what you want let me know, and i'll hook you up. (NOT trying to use the B.B. to increase sales, just tryin' to help). Kyle

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
go the 15x8s with 2" BS, and for protection? have you thoght of welding a single ring on the lip to add strength not a beadlock, just something to add some support to the lip

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
henry i been runnin 8" rims with 2" BS for two years on my pig, nothin to complain about.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Henry,

I asked a similar question a while back about 2" bs rims for my SOA fj62. You recommended going with a 17" wheel for better stability and load rating for this heavy a rig. Are you planning on going 17"? I think the 17"x8" w/2-2.5" bs from rockstomper would be ideal on a SOA rig running 37" tires. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I've been debating the 17" rims but I'm not sure the budget is up for it. Does anyone know offhand if there's a sizable price difference between 37x15" and 37x17" MT/R's? That may be the deal breaker, the rims don't seem to be a huge difference...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess the price difference ($17) is not that bad, that may be what I'll do. That's around $40 per tire/rim plus shipping, so another $200 extra. In the grand scheme of things, I think it will be worth it.

Any objections/poor opinions of 17" rims out there?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
www.rockyroadoutfitters.com Mostly a Suzuki and Jeep store but they do order custom backspaced wheels. They are very knowledgeable about doing it right and they prices won't break the bank. Not affiliated and not even ever a customer, but I have called and asked questions and was satisfied with their answers.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I just ordered (today) a set of Allied Rockathons, 15x10 beadlocks with 2.5" BS. Allied will also do non-beadlocks rims too - IIRC, no extra charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts