Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from the gear setup experts here.

It's an unusual setup I am attempting. I am attempting to put a h233b Nissan gearset from a pathfinder solid axle into an armada r230 irs differential housing. I am using the h233b carrier. The reason is that the armada only has an open carrier and 2.93 or 3.36 ratios available.

I have talked with someone who has done this successfully on an older 300zx twin turbo r230 differential. The newer armada design has changed though. Bigger pinion, bigger bearings, the ring gears interchange perfectly between the carriers and the pinion length dimensions are identical, length of the gear tooth and bearing and spline locations all match up.

I have test bushings that are a very tight slip fit to test the gear alignment before making permanent press fit ones to take up the difference in pinion OD vs bearing ID.

The new r230 gears are 3.36 and hobb face, the h233b are 4.36 and milled. Is there any way this would change the housing design? These style gears are interchangeable as long as it's a matched set correct? I know there is a difference in how you move the pinion depth and backlash to adjust the contact pattern between the styles but they should interchange right?

I'm down to a possible slight variation in hypoid distance being the problem but I don't know what that would look like or how I could measure it.

The contact continues to be shallow, top edge of the drive tooth on the edge of the toe and then opposite deep and far heel side of the coast. It's so much on the edge you can't really even see it on the ring gear but you can on the pinion.

Setting the pinion way deep gets the contact on the coast pulled in but it's still just an odd corner of the pinion tooth touching like it's at a bizarre angle. Any ideas what would explain this or what else I could check?

I also have custom sized bearings to fit the h233b carrier, possibly one is slightly larger or smaller causing a tilt in the carrier axis? What would that look like?

Any help or thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

20210405_022602_HDR.jpg
20210407_142020.jpg
20210404_200813.jpg
20210404_200843_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you actually set it up in the vehicle? I would say you can't trust any pattern until everything is set up and torqued. I can't really make out a pattern from the pictures. I am not an expert at gears but i did my own in my Jeep. Not familiar with Nissan stuff but if everything is the same size, i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have torqued it in the housing lots of times. I don't think having the cover or mounts attached will help change anything.

You can't see a pattern on the ring gear because it's so far off on the edges. Look at the yellow transfer onto the pinion though.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think id make a big pinion adjustment. Move it closer to the ring gear. See what that does and go from there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have moved it a significant amount deeper and it does not help.

The next thing I tried was simply seeing how the ring gear wanted to mesh with the pinion mounted in the housing.

20210409_221558_HDR.jpg

This was the result. I think if the ring gear could rotate down through the bottom of the housing it would sit square meaning the problem has to be the hypoid distance must be different right?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Put washers between the carrier and ring gear to see if you can get it to reach the pinion. At the same time you can watch for housing clearance issues. You might be able to get a ring gear spacer made to do what you need. Maybe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done that as well the mesh is just at the wrong angle. See the degree it's at? To get it square the entire centerline of the carrier needs to be lower in relation to the pinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts