Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a Lock-Rite in my D44 and was wondering if I could reuse the ring gear bolts and if the ring gear dropped onto the carrier or if it needed to be pressed on.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
59,890 Posts
I don;t know specifically about a 44, but on all the Toy setups I have done, I re-use the ring bolts, and sometimes the ring gear slips back on, sometimes it needs some good blows from the rubber hammer.

·
Banned
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, the gears where setup at Gearman's about 2 years ago. Don't know if they reused the bolts or not.

I suppose I will reuse them and be sure to put them back into the same holes.

·
Premium Member
19,350 Posts
If you have a space heater, put the ring gear in front of it for a while to it slides over the carrier better.
and yup, i reuse bolts too

·
Registered
24,685 Posts
Throw the carrier in the freezer overnight, and the ring gear in the oven at 250' for an hour. The ring gear should slip right on over the carrier. Make sure you get it aligned right, as you may not have the easiest time getting the ring gear back off. Alignment pins help!

FWIW, I have never had a ring gear slide onto the carrier, it has always requried some heating/cooling.

Paul

·
Banned
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i don't have time to put in the freezer overnight. i am starting to pull it all apart tonight at 5pm and am heading to a run in the morning....

I suppose I could throw the ring gear in the oven if it is too tight.

·
Premium Member
19,350 Posts
Pavemen said:
well i don't have time to put in the freezer overnight. i am starting to pull it all apart tonight at 5pm and am heading to a run in the morning....

I suppose I could throw the ring gear in the oven if it is too tight.
Don;t put it in your oven, your wife will kill you!
Its stinks up the whole house

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had to pull the ring gear on my Dana 30 for my lock-rite. I just used a rubber mallet to tap the ring gear off. I covered the teeth on the ring gear with a rag, then pressed it back on my hand. Like everyone else said, use locktite and torque to specs. I think I used the blue kind and haven't had any problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.