Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front axle build from scratch, what size ring gear is a good match for 35 spline RCVs?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
What the fuck kind of question is that? Are you on meth? What does ring gear size have to do with rcv axle shafts???
a lot.
too big shaft in small ring gear will destroy ring gears.
right sized shaft will have some flex and ring gear can survive

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Seems pretty easy then, 9.75 or bigger...i don't know the answer to this, but aren't the rcv shafts built for each axle? Or are all the shaft diameters the same? So if you want to build a Toyota axle you ask for Toyota shafts? Dana 60 then you tell them you're using Dana 60 gears? If the shaft diameters are all the same, then why even use rcv in a Dana 44 if you can break ring gears so easily? These are all legit questions because i will never need rcv for my junk

·
Sand Pounder
55 Posts
Seems pretty easy then, 9.75 or bigger...i don't know the answer to this, but aren't the rcv shafts built for each axle? Or are all the shaft diameters the same? So if you want to build a Toyota axle you ask for Toyota shafts? Dana 60 then you tell them you're using Dana 60 gears? If the shaft diameters are all the same, then why even use rcv in a Dana 44 if you can break ring gears so easily? These are all legit questions because i will never need rcv for my junk
There are sometimes crossover sizes and spline counts. 35 spline shafts are usually listed as "dana60/ ford 9inch" for example.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I think its vague but not a ridiculous question. Guy wants to build a new front axle and wants to pair the center section appropriately? Maybe he has a set of 35 spline rcvs already he wants to build around, who knows..who cares.. hp and driving style are not really relevant if hes wanting to know what is similar in strength to the rcv.

The the op, Gearing is something you need to share as that with limit center section choices. High pinion or low pinion and probably most importantly budget.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hp60 is a pretty good match strength wise. It will hold up to breaking one side usually. If you set the front end down spinning both sides the pinion or gears will sometimes let go (like wheel standing a ledge and the front comes down under power and with traction). A 14 bolt front will be stronger than the shafts in any scenario, if you would rather replace axles than gears.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks to those that understood the question. I wasn't asking what would live in a given scenario under certain conditions.

I talked to RCV, they said cant really go wrong with 60, but a little bigger would/could be better. I opted for a 10.5" just for what greenlion mentioned. I do rather bust axles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts