Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So people keep calling me and emailing me pics of their ring and pinion patterns and want to know which way to shim in order for the best pattern. Most are confused, looking at patterns in a manual and trying to figure out which way to move the gears. I'll have to admit it was very confusing to me the first time, and with the tools I had at the time it was a real B&#^%#$t. Eventually as I became for proficient at it, i noticed discrepancies in manuals, or at least ambiguity. The worst one, was when I had a pattern which the manual I was looking at called a "cross bearing" but did not say how to fix it. Basically the pattern was on opposite corners of the tooth. So after around 4 or five gear set ups in the front of my 72 Bronco the pinion race was rather loose, so i decided this would make it easy to make pinion depth changes, (sort of a reverse dummy bearing) and it was time to really figure it all out. Early on a Saturday morning, I began setting up a new gear set with no shims in the pinion but kept the back lash correct, I then added pinon dept shims .010" at a time and while keeping the backlash in the .006 to .010 range to see just how the pinion pattern moved. Ive been using this knowledge ever since and would like to share it with everyone. Recently I pretty much duplicated my original self taught lesson and here are the results.

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pattern changes pinion depth only.

The following are pics of a pinion that is in too deep and then moved a few thousands out one step at a time, until it is just right and then continuing on out until it is too far out. Back lash is held at exactly .007" so you can see how pinion depth effects pattern . The gear set is in a Ford 9 inch, they are used gears but in good shape. The first set shows pattern with no shim at all so pinion is as deep as it can be. Then shims are added to bring it out. Depending on your monitor settings you should be able to see the pictures, drive and coast side by side, so you can scroll up and down to create an 18th century flip flip viewer. if the pics are on top of each other hit the control and minus key simultaneous a few times, this will zoom you out till the pics are side by side. ( control plus zooms you in).

.000 pinion shim
pd 000 a.jpg bl 000 c.jpg
.010 pinion shim
bl 002 a.jpg bl 002 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pinion dept patten cont

.016 pinon shim
bl 004 a.jpg bl 004 c.jpg
.018 pinon shim
bl 006 a.jpg bl 006 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you forget the link? any extra knowledge setting up gears is great and very helpful :smokin:
whoa, give me a couple of hours to get all this in one spot please before any more posting. its all coming, it takes time, and so do not post untill after you see the post with my videio in it. much to post please be patien. In fact please do not reply untill futher notice.

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pattern change pinion dept cont.

.020 pinon shim
bl 008 a.jpg bl 010 a.jpg
.022 pinon shim (best)
bl 010 c.jpg bl 006 a.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pattern change pinon dept cont.

.024 pinion shim
pd 022 a.jpg pd 022 c.jpg
.026 pinion shim
pd 024 a.jpg pd 024 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pattern vs pinion dept last.

.028 pinion shim
pd 026 a.jpg pd 026 c.jpg
.032 pinion shim
pd 032 a.jpg PD 032 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pattern change vs pinon depth summary

The pattern changes caused by pinion depth changes are summed up in the following sketch. you can see that the pattern in the top left of the sketch is the exact opposite of the pattern on the lower right. The pattern reverses at the pinion goes from too deep to too shallow.

Attachments

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pattern vs Back Lash

So here is what Backlash does. In this trial I kept the pinion depth a .022" and varied the back lash from zero to .014" at which point the pattern was crawling off the Heel (outside) of the tooth. At zero back lash the pattern actually looks pretty good, other than you can see where the teeth have an interference fit in the root.( I actually closed the backlash until I felt a little binding in a few spots. )

Zero back lash
bl 000 a.jpg bl 000 c.jpg
.002" BL
bl 002 a.jpg bl 002 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pattern vs back lash cont.

.004" bl
bl 004 a.jpg bl 004 c.jpg
.006" bl
bl 006 a.jpg bl 006 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pattern vs bl cont

.008" bl
bl 008 a.jpg bl 008 a.jpg
.010" bl
bl 010 a.jpg bl 010 c.jpg

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pattern vs bl cont

.012" BL
bl 012 a.jpg bl 012 c.jpg
.014" BL
bl 014 a.jpg bl 014 c.jpg
At this point the back lash was crawling off the outside of the teeth and I went no further.

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pattern change vs Backlash Summarised.

This sketch shows how backlash changes the pattern, when pinion depth is held constant. I used the .022" shim that had the best pattern in the previous trial.

Attachments

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright I have posted The info as I know it. feel free to post up, ask questions, and leave suggestions.

·
Registered
19,463 Posts
Alright I have posted The info as I know it. feel free to post up, ask questions, and leave suggestions.
Can you do a write up on the tools you use to make this happen? I haven't watched your video yet but I'm about to. It would be great to see what tools you use and why you prefer them.

·
Vendor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you do a write up on the tools you use to make this happen? I haven't watched your video yet but I'm about to. It would be great to see what tools you use and why you prefer them.
Well the more I do the more short cuts I do. I now just go for pattern with almost no tools at all. The trick is to have dummy bearings.you then can take out any preload on the carrier bearings so you can slip the carrier in and out pretty much by hand to save on big hammers and pry bars.The dummy bearings allow you to change out shim stacks in seconds instead of fighting pullers. and a dummy yoke. or a worn out yoke that slips on and off. you can even use a pipe and a washer in place of a yoke, anything to get a little preload on the pinion bearings. and the pipe or worn yoke slips on and off the pinion shaft without having to beat it on and off, time after time buggering up bearing surfaces and wearing you out. ( leave out any shims or crush sleeves until the pinion depth is correct to save time. I use an old pinion nut so I can spin it on and off with a small cordless drill, instead of an impact gun. Here is how I make my dummy bearings.
how to make dummy bearings by jantz engineering - YouTube

1 - 20 of 107 Posts