Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I sold the 5.7 WK and bought me an LJ
couldnt be happier with that trade off, but i find myself wanting more and more out of the 4.0
Ironically ive considered a 5.7 hemi swap but i dont see the point in scrapping the babied IL6 and trans right now, I would rather wait untill I blow up the IL6 before i do the swappage.

so meantime ive been looking at the RIPP supercharger... is it worth the 5k or are there better means of milking all the power i can out of the 4.0 (not interested in stroking)?

·
Registered
285 Posts
if you are going to dump 5k into a supercharger that doesn't really work, i would seriously recommend looking into a 5.3 or 6.0 ls swap. you can put a 5.3 in with the auto trans that comes behind it (4l60e) for less than 5k if you use your thinker. I wouldn't mess with a supercharger on the 4.0.

there is a thread that popped up a while back about ripp...it wasn't too pretty. search for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agree with buff. At $5K your in the neighborhood of a complete 5.3 swap if you do the work yourself. Go with a 6.0 and you'll never look back. Check out the 5.3 thread on the jeep hardcore side--it's all been done many times and most if not all the wrinkles are ironed out. BTW, the LS engines fit well, work well, are universally supported and I think they make more tractable power than a comparable hemi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look into It. Really my only draw toward a hemi install is the fact that I can get it to pas cal smog.
This is my dd although I have a truck to drive while I'm doing the swap the lj will be my weekend warrior.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Take what these guys have said to heart, I have personal experience with forced induction(turbo charged) on this year model jeep and I can tell you it is not worth it. I have spent a ass load of money trying to make it work and even had a stand alone fuel management system set-up in mine still did not run like it should have. The computers in the 06 do not take well to forced induction in hind sight I wish I had all that money back and had done a V8 swap of some kind. As a side note another point you may or may have not thought of, along with bigger injectors that will be needed to run the supercharger you will also need to run premium fuel at all times. This could make your beloved jeep a curse to deal with at the pump.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what the forum is for.
thanks for the advice ya’ll
Im filling the jeep up with premium right now, last car bought had a factory turbo since then ive filled up all my cars with premium, i like to tell myself i get better gas mileage because of it :smokin:.

Im going to skip the v8 for now and deal with the IL6 (its not like its as miserable as the 3.8. instead ill take that 5k and throw it into getting the jeep standing on some 35 bfg’s ive picked up. 2.5 old man emu spring lift, currie control arms and the aev highline is what ill do for now. then maybe by the end of the year ill do a 5.7

·
Registered
765 Posts
Im filling the jeep up with premium right now, last car bought had a factory turbo since then ive filled up all my cars with premium, i like to tell myself i get better gas mileage because of it :smokin:.
Seems like I recall reading that the 4.0 runs better with 87 octane than with premium. No idea if true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts