Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Started wiring things up and waiting on some answers but am happy with how things are coming together.

Machine torch came today and I got everything moved to it's final location.

Decided it would be a good idea to run a bead of silicone caulk where the rail meets the tube:

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Didn't get the memo on that...what is it and what does it do?:D
The torch uses a ohmic sensor to touch off the plate instead of pressing the torch down till the floating torch switch is activated. The floating torch is fine on 12ga or thicker metal but on thin metal it can deform the plate before switch is activated. The feather torch will just torch the plate to set the zero height of the torch.

I like the feather torch much better than floating torch setup but then again I have a break away torch along with the floating torch setup. No way is my torch going to be broken if the feather torch system has issues.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Ohmic starts to be more convenient at 22 gauge with our Z axis, but the machine will cut up to 26ga. The problem with Ohmic is that is doesnt bode well with a water bed or a surface film or rust. The option for CandCNC calls out a second slide and a switch in case the ohmic sensor doesnt pickup the dc voltage when it hits the plate.

·
perfection in plasma
4,052 Posts
Did you happen to order the feather touch system with the electronics? Worth the extra cost.
i installed this last week on a system for a buddy........ biggest thing it did was help tighten up the cut consistency. he noticed right off the bat things were looking better cuz the torch height was way more consistent. without getting the whole weight of the torch touching pieces there is much less chance of the piece being cut deflecting at all while doing the touch off at the start of a cut. yes it helps on thin steel but even a large piece of 10ga can flex slightly leading to non proper heights at the start of a cut. the bit i was there to check it out first hand really was impressive how little contact was needed to get things to make contact at the start of a cut. i dont have much time with the setup once it was running but im thinking its worth the minor cost of the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Ohmic starts to be more convenient at 22 gauge with our Z axis, but the machine will cut up to 26ga. The problem with Ohmic is that is doesnt bode well with a water bed or a surface film or rust. The option for CandCNC calls out a second slide and a switch in case the ohmic sensor doesnt pickup the dc voltage when it hits the plate.
I did turn off the z collision detection due to my water table since I have the breakaway setup. The splashing water can cause issue if you have the z collision detection on. Once I've had the rust issue but then I just splash the plate with a little bit of water.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
i installed this last week on a system for a buddy........ biggest thing it did was help tighten up the cut consistency. he noticed right off the bat things were looking better cuz the torch height was way more consistent. without getting the whole weight of the torch touching pieces there is much less chance of the piece being cut deflecting at all while doing the touch off at the start of a cut. yes it helps on thin steel but even a large piece of 10ga can flex slightly leading to non proper heights at the start of a cut. the bit i was there to check it out first hand really was impressive how little contact was needed to get things to make contact at the start of a cut. i dont have much time with the setup once it was running but im thinking its worth the minor cost of the upgrade.
It is nice and can be alot better depending on the Z axis backlash, slat spacing and software. We make our own zero backlash nut assemblies here so that takes care of the backlash and in sheetcam you can actually put in your switch travel offset (a number added to pierce height) so it automatically comps for any extra slide travel. Then you have to take into account the slat spacing. Because we have customers who do HVAC we offer slat holders in two different slat spacings. If the slats get too far apart the material will definately warp and ohmic is the only answer. Ohmic sensing has its place but with a big motor and thrust bearing Z axis it isnt ideal to continually load the Z anytime the ohmic sensing fails.

The other side of things is we can tweak the distance travelled before it ever touches off again in sheetcam.

·
Registered
695 Posts
awesome job...

I need to mount my control box, someday. How did you attach the plastic box to the bracket?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
awesome job...

I need to mount my control box, someday. How did you attach the plastic box to the bracket?
Thanks. There are 4 threaded (10-32 iirc) inserts in the plastic box.

First cut(s)!!!

Started cutting and the height on the z-axis went up for some reason so had to stop. Second cut over the first did a bit better. Last pic was with the height control off and looks nice.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Made a part and played around with the machine.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve and unexpected things come up, but I can draw and cut a bumper part easily.

Waiting for some slat holders and slats for the table and then I'll filler up. Have about 1/2" of water in there right now.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Finished?!

Needs some paint, odds and ends, and the cords arranged neatly but I'm cutting parts.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Cut the first 3/8 plate today.

Fresh off the table with no slag removal or grinding...I'm happy with it.

Got a few issues to work through but I'm cutting with it.

The Bobcad is relatively intuitive for me ,at least for the parts we do.

-James

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The torch splashes water through already cut pieces close to the edge.

Something that is going to happen, but I didn't like that the trucks/bearings were in the line of fire.

Scuzzy area around the trucks^^

My solution (Cut on the table of course. Aluminum):

In action:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
come on many, you can cluster your parts tighter and get more money per sheet! haha..... looking good
Thanks.

That's only the second full sheet we've run and the parts were cut one (or two) at a time...we'll get better.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts