Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
HOG JOCKEY
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
several of us will be heading up from socal. we will be doing rubicon trail from loon lake side to Tahoe. we will be staying in south lake Tahoe and leaving trucks and trailers. my question is, what is driving time from so lake Tahoe to the trailhead on the west side? we are just a bunch of old guys in old cj's. I don't like driving my cj7 over 45 or 50 mph on unbalanced 37's. thanks for any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I have a flat fender with 37's and can run 65 mph. Just put an oz. of BB's in each wheel to balance the tires and haul ass. From South Shore Tahoe to Icehouse on HWY 50 the traffic 45/50, passing lane the race is on 65/70. Icehouse to Loon just kickback and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
There is a short cut up the road to Barret and across the forest, on paved roads. This prevents you from dropping all the way DOWN to Ice House and then back UP to Loon.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the road. Check the FS road map and you should be able to figure it out.

It will save you 40 minutes.

:jeep:

·
Registered
509 Posts
There is a short cut up the road to Barret and across the forest, on paved roads. This prevents you from dropping all the way DOWN to Ice House and then back UP to Loon.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the road. Check the FS road map and you should be able to figure it out.

It will save you 40 minutes.

:jeep:
Wrights Lake Road is what you are thinking. I've done that pass a few times and don't really think its worth the trouble. It is a much slower pace and scenic but you will need to back track a few miles on Ice House if you need any extra fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I think that has to be at least 10+ min. longer, And for a guy coming from out of town, its just to many turns to find. Nice drive though.

·
HOG JOCKEY
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for all of the input and help! talking about fuel.....where is the last place to get fuel before the trailhead?? my 258 w/4.88 gears gets terrible mileage, especially driving on the steep hiway grades! lol must be a jeep thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you know the road Wright's lake will save you 20 minutes from tahoe to loon. If ice house still has gas it is only about a mile from the turn off of wright's lake

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure someone will chime in but the the ice house gas station was closed or had no gas in July. We passed by early so perhaps closed. We got gas a few miles before Ice House on hwy50. I think there is a small restaurant there also. Enjoy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sure someone will chime in but the the ice house gas station was closed or had no gas in July. We passed by early so perhaps closed. We got gas a few miles before Ice House on hwy50. I think there is a small restaurant there also. Enjoy.
The last gas as you come up 50 from Placerville is called Fresh Pond. They have gas and a restaurant.

·
HOG JOCKEY
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last gas as you come up 50 from Placerville is called Fresh Pond. They have gas and a restaurant.
thanks.....but as the post is titled, we are coming from so. lake Tahoe. anyone know where last gas is before the turn to ice house?? I just would rather not carry a quantity of spare gas.

·
Registered
898 Posts
SILVER FORK STORE(76 fuel) just west of KYBURZ on hwy 50
about 6-8 miles before ice house road as you are coming west

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
What vehicle are you in? Or more specifically, what kind of mileage and fuel capacity do you have? A typical street driven 4WD can be fueled up at Kyburz or Fresh Pond and complete the trail.

Remember that once you leave the trail at the Tahoe side you should drive north to Tahoe City to get fuel if you are low (even if you aren't planning on going that way). Tahoe City is WAY closer than South lake Tahoe, the nearest fuel in the southern direction.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
And for very last chance gas, the store at the Ice House Resort, 12 miles north of 50 usually sells fuel. One grade and quite spendy, as I recall.

·
Phobohomic
1,247 Posts
If you know the road Wright's lake will save you 20 minutes from tahoe to loon. If ice house still has gas it is only about a mile from the turn off of wright's lake
Paul is correct, scenic and no worries with driving 45mph in two lane sections. Shorter and avoids up-hill grade from the highway - less gas burned.
Not sure about fuel at Ice House Resort, except if they have it - it ain't cheap.
Give them a call to find out. (530) 293-3321

1 - 19 of 19 Posts