Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pondering the idea of a new road bike. My current steed is a 1995 Cannondale R-500 with the stock RSX groupo. The bike is a great bike, but there have been lots of advancements in the past 12 years.

Although I cannot say a pro rider couldn't ride it faster, longer or better I really think a new bike would help me. I know there are several criteria to meet (primarily funding, I think), but when does it really pay off? If you are on group rides and can hold your own with a pack comprised of full carbon bikes ($3k+)? How does one know when they maxed out their current equipment? How do you determine the right time?

I was in my first tri over the weekend and I think I'm hooked. That said, I would like the versatility of being able to go road or tri (aero) with it. I am looking at the Cervelo soloist team. The only bad review I can find on it is the wheelset (shimano). But for $2,200 a full ultegra bike seems hard to beat. In that price range, what other bikes should I be looking at?

What say ye pirate?

I think this forum should be called "Cycling" :flipoff2:

·
Registered
624 Posts
hey i dont kow a bout knowing when u maxedout ur current epuiqment but technology has changed soo much making everything better in almost every way
gettin on a new bike will only give i a bigger advantage if iu could hold u own in a group ride with a new bike like the soloist ull prolly be in the front most of the time

and as far as the soloist goes its a bitchin bike for the money the shop i work at ahas sold a few and like u said we havent had any complaints about the bike

where are u located ??

·
Registered
391 Posts
hey i dont kow a bout knowing when u maxedout ur current epuiqment but technology has changed soo much making everything better in almost every way
gettin on a new bike will only give i a bigger advantage if iu could hold u own in a group ride with a new bike like the soloist ull prolly be in the front most of the time

and as far as the soloist goes its a bitchin bike for the money the shop i work at ahas sold a few and like u said we havent had any complaints about the bike

where are u located ??

Huh? I've read that a few times and I think I barely comprehend the message.

FFRbuicon,

I'm also in the same situation, pondering the idea of a new road bike. I'll be curious to see what input this thread brings.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh? I've read that a few times and I think I barely comprehend the message.
I couldn't have said it better myself...

This is what I got out of it:

1.) Technology has improved (duh... It's been ~12 years)

2.) The shop he works for has sold several Cervelo Soloist's

3.) His spell check is broken. :flipoff2:

More than that, I dunno.

What has the technology done? Will I be overall faster? Will I just be able to sprint better? Be able to maintain a better average on longer rides? Obviously with higher end components I will see better shifting performance, but I can't see where that makes me any faster (noticeably at least). WHERE will I see the difference? Or, will I just be able to say I have a new ride, that I spent a bunch of money on?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Why not just get a new light wheelset and see what preformance gains it brings??

how about some new shoes too??

90% of cycling (like baseball) is half mental :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Why not just get a new light wheelset and see what preformance gains it brings??

how about some new shoes too??

90% of cycling (like baseball) is half mental :)
A 12 year old bike should just be done away with. Buy a new bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A 16 yr old truck should just be done away with. Buy a new truck :flipoff2:
Great response! :smokin:

I stopped roading back in the early 90's, sold my Bianchi for a Cannondale Delta V-700 MTB. Had that until 1999, when I purchased my Litespeed Tsali MTB. Back in the day, I had two set of wheels for my road bike. A heavy training set and then my race day set. Wheels do make a big difference.

But if your frame is already over a decade old. I would put it into storage and look for a new bike. Main differences in technology in the past 10 years have been material (ie. CF & Ti) used for frames and the number of gears.

Then if you do plan to race, invest in a good set of racing wheels. That way when you do your training ride in the stocker wheels; if you hit a hole or bump, it will not feel as bad when your wheel gets damaged.
Good luck and post up on the bike you buy.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
A new bike will motive you to train more which in turn will make you fitter .
Buy a new bike and save the old one for rainy days :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am new to cycling ( two years)and there are great deals on bikes now because the new models are coming out and the cool guys can only ride the new colors ! I bought a couple off Ebay that were 2 to 3 years old and 1/3 of the price. My newest bike is all carbon frame and fork with Campy Record parts that probally cost 6 grand when new and it was a show room model with under 100 miles that i got for 1800.00 with pedals and shoes. It rides better than anything i have ever ridden. The technology is is similar to computers they evolve so fast and the older ones drop considerably in price. I think the average weekend warrior would not really feel the difference between my 1800.00 used bike and a new 10K bike that would warrant that purchase. Some people just have way too much money. If i had that extra money i could find a lot better things to spend on it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A 16 yr old truck should just be done away with. Buy a new truck :flipoff2:
That is pretty good, I won't lie.

But you and I both know he'd be much better off with a completely new bike rather than dumping a bunch of money into something that old. Plus it's a Cannondale so it's about to crack.

·
Registered
50 Posts
LIke someone said: Buy a new bike--it will motivate you to train more.

It will make you ride faster, too, in most cases. Every time I get a new bike my times on training rides go down---call it "a placebo effect or mental thing" or whatever.

Ebay is the way to go or roadbikereview.com for a good deal on an expensive bike. Lots of bike shop employees move there bikes on these sites and you can get a newer(less than one year old) bike for half price with the best components.

Bottom line: if your going to compete at any level you don't want your equipment decreasing your confidence.

Just for the record I have a 06 cannondale team six13 and a 06 team edition scalpel. I would recommend either of these bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts