Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let’s try this again! This was gonna be pretty basic build but since I finally have a pair of fzj80 axles in my possession, I figured it’s about time for a build thread.

Picked up this slicktop, cloth interior, manual seat, 5spd d1 for $500 several years ago.

Swapped a 300tdi about a year ago and have been tinkering around with it. Put some medium duty TF springs and shocks along with some 1” spring spacers under it.
Whipped up a quick front bumper like my last one.

Found out the Chinese dual pass radiator was built without a baffle, which caused some overheating issues. After checking EVERYTHING and even replacing the hg, I finally pulled the brand new radiator out and cut it apart. Welded in a baffle and all was cured.

Stuffed a billet wheel in the turbo, did some pump tweaks and it scoots pretty decent now.

Found a nasty crack in the intake runner of cyl4 letting coolant into the cylinder. Not worth welding up, slapped a britpart new head on it, looks decent, we’ll see how it holds up.

Next up is fzj80 axle swap with 36s or 37s.
Might as well link it while I’m in there.

As of right now I want to keep it on the road, so it needs to drive half decent but I don’t think I want to stick with the radius arms, just too much left on the table.

Blah blah blah let’s get to the fun pirate stuff....
Lets talk links. Stick with the a arm rear setup with some tweaks? 3 link or
4 link front? The single downpipe from the 300tdi frees up some space for link mounts compared to the v8 setup.
Initially I am thinking 3 link with panhard in the front. Keep the a-arm in the rear(redo the axle joint) and redo the arms with dom and proper joints.

A recap of the last shitbox here

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-rover/1091660-robbies-nothing-crazy-boring-ass-d1-build.html#/topics/1091660

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any progress on this? I think a 3 link front with offset center link is the way to go. I also think you can modify the a frame in the rear and throw some nicer lower links in. I'm planning on trying to raise the rear ball joint mount higher to raise the roll center.

By the way, how is the fuel economy compared to the v8?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any progress on this? I think a 3 link front with offset center link is the way to go. I also think you can modify the a frame in the rear and throw some nicer lower links in. I'm planning on trying to raise the rear ball joint mount higher to raise the roll center.

MaxiDrive (M R Automotive) in Australia make a 1" longer (taller) Ball joint.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That is pretty much what I'm going to shoot for. I may end up just 4linking the rear though. I havent done a ton lately. Built a rear bumper and some sliders and put some bfg 33x10.5 on it and trimmed the front fenders. Thinking about welding the rear diff and seeing how it holds up, maybe once its blown up ill have motivation to do the axle swap :flipoff2:

Been working on everyone elses junk lately, and i don't see that ending anytime soon. I would like to get on the axle swap in the next couple months.

300tdi vs v8 fuel milage is insane. If i keep my foot out of it and drive the speed limit (60mph hwy) it gets anywhere from 20-24mpg. The way I drive (75mph hwy) i never get less than 18mpg, and i flog it pretty good everywhere. Stock turbo with a billet compressor wheel at 20psi, boost ring and boost pin, advanced and turned up the fuel pump, 3" turbo back exhaust and a Chinese stock replacement intercooler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts