Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rob, aka" launch_it" , decided to make him own birfiled upgrades and here is what happened. Now these are just your stock birfields with a ring welded on the bell. They have held up rather well so far. I ran one after breaking a longfield at Big Dogs on the first day. They survived 2 more days at Big Dogs that included there 11 trail ( toughest ) and half a day on a local trail. It finally broke when I had my truck on it's side and was tring to drive it back over :rolleyes:, . Need less to say it didn't work. I run 38 tsl's with and ARB in front. I'll have more pic's in a days or so.

Also if you look close , you will see it twisted the splines.
Sorry for the bad pic's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Scott, can you notice hairline cracks on the inner cage too.

From all of them I see you can always tell that the cage splits in 3 spots, then it moves out to the outer part of the cage around the balls busts in 3 spots and then the bell finally goes in 3 spots. which allows the balls to pop. For as cheap a birfield upgrade as the Robfields are they do seem to hold up well.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JamisonWorkshop said:
Scott, can you notice hairline cracks on the inner cage too.

From all of them I see you can always tell that the cage splits in 3 spots, then it moves out to the outer part of the cage around the balls busts in 3 spots and then the bell finally goes in 3 spots. which allows the balls to pop. For as cheap a birfield upgrade as the Robfields are they do seem to hold up well.
Yep the inner was gone on both also and the bells only had 1 crack in each one.

Rob has beat on them hard and so did I.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I noticed on the stocker I busted last weekend that the inner splines were mashed up from trying to get turned around to a spot to change it out. I went to get my spare that used to be attached to the birfield I busted at Big Dogs and the splines on that shaft were mangled too. I still have to see about grinding them out.

so word of advise change birfield right away. Even if you unlock the hub with an auto locker it will still turn the axleshaft inside the sharred birfield bits and mangle the shaft up pretty good.

·
Registered
350 Posts
from what i see the inner race on flimmy's has a single crack . and the one thats in the pic's . the cage is broken in half :eek: i had it jammed up pretty good when it finally let go . i think that there was 7 trips on that short side . :confused: oh ya and a much easier clean out ! it still stayed together:D

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hey launch-it, what to you use to weld the ring on, MIG/ TIG? I've got a few stockers laying around I wouldn't mind messing with. Where do you get the rings?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He uses a 110 mig to weld the ring on. It's preheated for a few hrs under a 500 ? watt quarts light then welded and slowly cooled. I don't remember the size of the ring. I think he said it was 1/4 in and don't know the dia.

For no or little $$ they would make good spares for longs or profields.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uniontown , PA on some local trails. I have a few more but I don't have a dig cam and a friend is not done scanning the rest for me.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
flimmy said:
Uniontown , PA on some local trails. I have a few more but I don't have a dig cam and a friend is not done scanning the rest for me.
Hey thats not too far from where I'm at during the summer (reisterstown, MD). I'd love to try some wheeling with you guys.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SirMrManGuy said:

Hey thats not too far from where I'm at during the summer (reisterstown, MD). I'd love to try some wheeling with you guys.
It would be about 3 hrs from you. But if you want to come up this summer let me know. we will take you wheelin.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Flimmy where those taken at the falls?

I got he EFi swap done today. :) Ill be ready to wheel agian soon :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts