Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have had this posted for a couple days in the chevy section and then deleted it....sorry Chevy guys:flipoff2:

So building a fool size isnt totally new to me as Me and ThrottleBoy Built the hardcore dodge truggy... for Top Truck but never made it in....eventually it got sold and is now defending the canadian borders.....:laughing:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodg...e-truggy.html?highlight=hardcore+dodge+truggy

The story....

So last winter My girls and I did a bunch of snow wheeling in my linked and back halfed jeep Yj...with no top, and no heater..... SO instead of just doing some work to the Jeep I decided to build a family friendly Wheeler with a few must have's....

Must haves....
Roll up windows
Good heater
Room for at least 4 with comfort being a key factor
Big tires 42-44"
Safety- cage, 4 point harnesses, suspension seats
Decent power.... SO why not a BBC...?
Must be able to drive on the street! So a steering box is a must.
Flat belly
Coil overs
Linked front and rear
Strong Tcase with a good low range...or two!

Now before you ask Why not build a 4 seat buggy..... Im not looking for all out performance and this is kinda my version of a nice trail cruiser....not hardcore Rock buggy....got 2 of those and a jeep on 42s....

I have always liked the square body trucks and went on the hunt for a cheap one.... watched one get parted on CL to just having the cab and title.... So I bought the cab. $100 with title!!!
Low ride height but good uptravel....:grinpimp:

Since it didnt have a frame, I built one out of 2x6 .188 rect tube...

Cab mounts were made...

Cab was mounted...

Sliders And bottom of the frame are even with the cab seam....not the usual 4" or more of the frame hanging under the cab you see on these trucks from the factory....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I started to look for axles a front chevy D60 was in order and bought....for the rear a 14 bolt was my axle of choice but being that this thing isnt small a talk with my axle guy had him hooking me up with a BRAND NEW 2006 ford F550 front axle....

Also since the wheel base is gonna be pretty long (155-160")....4WS seems like a good idea!

Then out came the porta band and I shopped it up....

I took it back to my axlle guy and he sleeved it back into one piece....cut two longside axles up for a pair of inners...

BBC and th400 mocked into place...

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the truck had to be low the frame had more than a few inches added to the KIck-ups over the axles.... and links on both ends and coil overs are for sure on the menu.....

A call to Ruff Stuff had alot of pieces on their way....

The front axle came to be installed with a 7" forward stretch to make sure those big meats would clear the firewall.... master cyl and ac/heater box.....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I cant stand the look of Exo cages especially on full size trucks that wasnt part of the plan.... So the tube work began..... 6 holes through the floor so the cage mounts directly to the stringers for the sliders.....

Then some more holes through the cab for some exterior tube work....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another shot of the rear....kinda getting a bit of a pre-runner look about it

Playing with the front and finding that keeping the ac/heater box along with the hydro boost are taking up some serious space!

4 tubes out of the firewall that extend into the cab and attach to the dash tube

SInce I wanted the X behind the cab to be look right the intersection was a bit lower....same as the interior roof section....a bit more work

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then a few parts start showing up.....

2.5 KING 16" coil overs For my kids need of a smooth ride....

NWF ECO BOX.... so simple to build it seriously took less than an hour

Installed directly to my round pattern NP205... (had to swap a short 32 spline input first but super easy also) went ahead and ground down the shift rails for front/rear dig also.

·
Premium Member
29,402 Posts
nice, with updates!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
looks familiar, like I've seen it somewhere before :flipoff2:
It really is a sick build man! Keep it up. :smokin:

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
From a Dodge to a Chevy? I hope I never sink that low. :flipoff2:

Nice work though, even if you did have to build everything but the cab and rear axle to keep it from falling apart. :D

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not a superduty front axle also? Hp rear and lp front with something this size....?
Availability and price.... the rear axle cost me $125... and wasn’t in the original plan to go rear steer... in fact it’s cut the same width as a stock 14bolt just in case it gives me issue.

The front came at a good price and matched the chevy 205 drop.

The intended use isn’t rock bouncing or hammers trails... think rubicon or scenic Moab trails... like the ones you see range rovers on...:D You know.... Big Gay truck stuff...:grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
looks familiar, like I've seen it somewhere before :flipoff2:
It really is a sick build man! Keep it up. :smokin:
build looks to be a solid start!
Thanks! Y’all should see my next build... an 87 v20 with a 4” lift and 33s.....:eek:

From a Dodge to a Chevy? I hope I never sink that low. :flipoff2:

Nice work though, even if you did have to build everything but the cab and rear axle to keep it from falling apart. :D
Wait... that description sounds a lot like the dodge truggy... and had that 440 ever given up it would have gotten a BBC too! :mr-t:

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Availability and price.... the rear axle cost me $125... and wasn’t in the original plan to go rear steer... in fact it’s cut the same width as a stock 14bolt just in case it gives me issue.

The front came at a good price and matched the chevy 205 drop.

The intended use isn’t rock bouncing or hammers trails... think rubicon or scenic Moab trails... like the ones you see range rovers on...:D You know.... Big Gay truck stuff...:grinpimp:
A 4ws tubed out, linked truggy on 42s for scenic trails? :flipoff2:

All the more reason not to use a hp 60 rear, blowing a rear diff in the middle of a trail like the Rubicon would be a disaster.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
sorry to be a negative nancy like the guy above me :flipoff2: but my first thought was also why go through the trouble of retubing the rear axle and not use a d80 or the 14b center :flipoff2: then retube the front with the HP center :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A 4ws tubed out, linked truggy on 42s for scenic trails? :flipoff2:

All the more reason not to use a hp 60 rear, blowing a rear diff in the middle of a trail like the Rubicon would be a disaster.
It will see extensive testing in 9+ rated planters at the mall to test its durability ...

Is this gonna be a bad time to tell ya it’s gonna have fenders, hood and bedsides that are not going to be pinched in any way...slightly radiused to fit the tires and the WB stretch up front.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
sorry to be a negative nancy like the guy above me :flipoff2: but my first thought was also why go through the trouble of retubing the rear axle and not use a d80 or the 14b center :flipoff2: then retube the front with the HP center :flipoff2:
I’m not gonna disagree that there isn’t 100 different ways to do the axles in this and it could very well end up with a pair of steering 14bolts... these were the easy/cheap solution to make a pile of nearly free parts into something.

Edit.... I have been doing it wrong with axles for a few years...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/562853-project-lo-budget-pimpin.html

1 - 20 of 186 Posts