Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is everything I have ever dreamed about for a wheelin' area. If everything goes right, and I make enough money, and have the time to finish the buggy I WILL be wheelin' there come the summer of 2014.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I have been to Sand Hollow 6 times now and all for a day run. I still have not hit the 2 hardest trails yet but hoping to do so soon. Sandthrax is the hardest trail from what i hear and the last group that did it broke 3 comp buggies on the first obsticle. Arrowhead is the second hardest and i only made it up the first obsticle before rain hit us and we had to turn around. Joint Effort is the 3rd hardest and i completed the entire trail in about 4 hours, some stuff you can not crawl and have to bend the go pedal to get up. I had to drag a YJ through most of it and he was set up pretty good. His 37s were to small and he had a large bumper and low clearence that hung him up. The next hardest are TNT and Chain Reaction which are pretty long trails and can take 3-5 hours depending on the group you have with you, these trails still require big tires, lots of twist and body damage big time. Last time i did Chain Reaction i broke my front driveline, one guy rolled and another broke his rear end. Johns Trail is pretty hairy in spots and i think the Maze has some good stuff too. If you camped here 3 days you wouldnt come close to hitting it all plus you have lots of dunes to play on and the lake to goof off in too. Its never dusty either which is a huge bonus for me cause the family doesnt complain :) There are still about 8-10 more trails left excluding the ones mentioned above and they are more for a full body rig 35s and lockers.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I will add that I went through cedar city (about 40 mins north on I15) and it is BEAUTIFUL, not the city its self so much, but the mountains to the east. The scenery changes 180*, we also went through Brian Head, which is at ~11,000'. So if you want to make a week trip out of it, there is plenty of scenery near by.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yes the scenery is spectacular. Its warming up right now, last Sat when i was at Sand Hollow it was 68* and i got a sun burn. Its cool and cloudy right now but next week it should be in the high 60s again. Now thru May is perfect. June-Aug is a little warm but the lake is right there so bring a boat or the jet skiis and your crawler :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Heck yea! I lived in Farmington and Durango for 12 years and have been all over those trails. I like Sand Hallow alot more then Choke Cherry but thats just me.

21 - 40 of 147 Posts