Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Winter 4x4 Jamboree is coming up in January, 3 day event, I went last year and this year will be even better!
Winter 4x4 Jamboree -
Signed up and got my condo at Sand Hollow Resort. Been going to this event for many years (still rock my Winter on the rocks gear). 10000000 times better than KOH, which I don't even bother going to anymore.

Heading out with a few buggies from my club to conquer Arrowhead, Sandthrax. and other fun trails out there.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Is there week's worth (4-6 days) of wheeling there for well built, full bodied, non buggy rigs?
Lodging nearby?
There is definitely a week's worth of wheeling in the general area. You could spend days just in the Sand Hollow vicinity and be happy with the awesome trails that are fine for your rig. There is also some very good trails in the surrounding areas, but you need someone familiar with the area to find them, and MORE IMPORTANTLY - get you back to civilization at the end of the trails.

You can also visit the national parks, just to enjoy the beauty, or rent a ATV/UTV and enjoy the sand dunes at Sand Hollow and the countless miles of trails in the area.

There are lots of hotel options from St George to Hurricane, from budget up to luxury resorts. The logistics of being comfortable here are very easy. It used to be a pretty remote area, but the area is building up fast. Every year I go back, the suburbs are moving closer and closer to Sand Hollow and are now only a couple miles away. There is a Walmart 10 minutes away from Sand Hollow. Californian's are migrating to the area like crazy. Enjoy the place as much as you can now, so you can talk about the "good ol' days" in the future.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There is definitely a week's worth of wheeling in the general area. You could spend days just in the Sand Hollow vicinity and be happy with the awesome trails that are fine for your rig. There is also some very good trails in the surrounding areas, but you need someone familiar with the area to find them, and MORE IMPORTANTLY - get you back to civilization at the end of the trails.

You can also visit the national parks, just to enjoy the beauty, or rent a ATV/UTV and enjoy the sand dunes at Sand Hollow and the countless miles of trails in the area.

There are lots of hotel options from St George to Hurricane, from budget up to luxury resorts. The logistics of being comfortable here are very easy. It used to be a pretty remote area, but the area is building up fast. Every year I go back, the suburbs are moving closer and closer to Sand Hollow and are now only a couple miles away. There is a Walmart 10 minutes away from Sand Hollow. Californian's are migrating to the area like crazy. Enjoy the place as much as you can now, so you can talk about the "good ol' days" in the future.
Thanks much for the detailed answer! :cool2: Our rigs are plenty trail worthy, we've run most of JV, SD etc but after seeing all the buggy pics I was concerned. We're already booked for 2017 but thinking of a 2 week trip in 2018. One week of good wheeling and another week of making the wives happy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks much for the detailed answer! :cool2: Our rigs are plenty trail worthy, we've run most of JV, SD etc but after seeing all the buggy pics I was concerned. We're already booked for 2017 but thinking of a 2 week trip in 2018. One week of good wheeling and another week of making the wives happy. Thanks again.
Yesterday we ran Chain Reaction and Nasty Half in full body rigs, only 2 buggies.
Expect some body damage but if you are well built you'll be just fine.

FYI those 2 trails are only about 1 mile each and it took 7 hours for a group of 11 to run them and we skipped a portion of Chain Reaction.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When are you thinking of going in 2018?
We are talking about going there in 2018. But it would have to after tax season for us.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Probably around the part of April. Still very much at the talking stages. I've got an itch to go back to KOH next year so who knows. LOL
WE are just in the talking stages also. one thing for sure is we can't go until after Tax season is over. The wife works for a CPAs.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I see I typed a stupid statement. It should have said "first" part of April as my wife always has the first full week of April off. (stupid Michigan education law)

·
Suzuki/Toyota Parts
610 Posts
Heading down a week from Tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Finally making it out there end of April.
Anyone down to show a couple of dirt bags from CA around? Should be there April 29th. Plan on wheelin for a few days before we make our way to Moab.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Can you drive ohv (non plated) vehicles from the primitive lakeside camp spots to the access tunnel?
Or would we need to camp in the Sandpit area to avoid having to take our rigs on and off the trailer every time we go back to camp?

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Can you drive ohv (non plated) vehicles from the primitive lakeside camp spots to the access tunnel?
Or would we need to camp in the Sandpit area to avoid having to take our rigs on and off the trailer every time we go back to camp?
You can drive non plated OHV vehicles from the primitive lakeside camp spots and the sandpit camp ground area to the access tunnel.

You cannot drive OHV's to and from the boat launch campground area on the other side of the reservoir.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I REALLY want to make it out there this year, no idea when yet, but trying to get a better idea of what I'm looking at.

I was thinking about renting an RV and staying in that. This would make the trip easier with the kids. I'm also thinking about just getting a rental house. What I'm curious about is driving an ohv rig from a rental to the park. Obviously loading up on a trailer to go a few miles each day would be lame.

I've never rented a vacation house, so I don't even know where to begin. I've been looking at air bnb and similar, but theres no way to tell how close to the park the house is.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
I REALLY want to make it out there this year, no idea when yet, but trying to get a better idea of what I'm looking at.

I was thinking about renting an RV and staying in that. This would make the trip easier with the kids. I'm also thinking about just getting a rental house. What I'm curious about is driving an ohv rig from a rental to the park. Obviously loading up on a trailer to go a few miles each day would be lame.

I've never rented a vacation house, so I don't even know where to begin. I've been looking at air bnb and similar, but theres no way to tell how close to the park the house is.
I typically use ABNB for general vacation rentals. If I have a specific question to a certain landmark I will PM the tenant inquiring about the said landmark and the distance. Most have been good at responding. Might be worth a shot.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts