Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was invited to compete in a rock race at the Gulches orv park. Any suggestions on set up?
I did a few high speed runs this weekend. The rig is all over the place on bumpy clay roads at 40-50 mph. It will be hammer down and hang on with the current set up.
Current Set up: 3" allpro buggy springs / bilstein shocks / 37" maxxis trepador at 6 psi front and 4 psi rear.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Run more air in the tires and be prepared to replace knuckle bearings.

Last rock race type event I did, I destroyed a rim (steel wheel) and tire from not having enough pressure in the tires. After the event I had so much play in my knuckles I pulled the knuckle off and all the bearings fell out.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I probably already need the knuckle bearings. I was trying to get through one more werock before replacing them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Do you all think its the leaf springs that don't lend well to rock racing? Just curious. Would air bumps be the solution?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Do you all think its the leaf springs that don't lend well to rock racing? Just curious. Would air bumps be the solution?
There is desert trucks with leaf springs. Phone someone like Deaver springs and tell them what you want to do, combined with air bumps and good properly valved shocks, you'd be able to haul ass.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Brian was talking about running air bumps on the Front Range Ftoy. Not sure if he did or not?

Back when I was green I asked about the legality of air bumps on a comp rig. Funny read if you can find it.

BTW-You would need to remove them for a Ftoy comp but that's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air bumps are probably cost and time prohibitive right now. I think I am just going to floor it and hang on. Then ride back through in my DD and pick up the pieces.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
There is desert trucks with leaf springs. Phone someone like Deaver springs and tell them what you want to do, combined with air bumps and good properly valved shocks, you'd be able to haul ass.
Hes only got mabye 1/2 a mile to run with any speed, airing up the tires would probably be the most cost effective thing to do.
________
YesBoss live

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it only 1/2 mile with speed? I had the impression the course was 3-4 miles long.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Don't run rear shocks, worked well for Hobie in KOH;)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hope you got those axles trussed up real good. My buddy just bent his housing so bad he had to cut it in half to get his longs out. And it bent between the truss and spring perch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts