Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come. No time limit, no cones, no one counting stops or backups, just some good clean speed wheeling. We are going to be holding a 2 event series that will be Rock Racing. At this time we are working on the format of the event and value the opinions found on this board. Please let us know your thoughts on the ultimate event and conflicts that may arrise.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Let me get this streight. Your going to have a comp that is a speed rock crawling? So it is who ever has the stonges built rig that will win?

I like it! But it is a far drive for me!

Get that Panzy Ben H out there in his Cruiser :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
not sure how much room ya have but a course laid out like a desert offroad race would be cool. a mixed bag of fast terrain and extreme rock crawling. say perhaps a 5 or 10 mile loop and run them around it 2 or three times. throw in a few check points and let em haul ass. i am very intrested in entering this kind of race.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Sounds like a fawkin blast. i am sure someone will bitch but fawk'em. go for it, i might be in for a couple of long weekends. mike

·
Vendor
2,020 Posts
Sounds great. I agree with camo, maybe start with a go fast section then have an obsticle then another speed section. Do a couple of laps would be a blast. Post some dates so we can make plans.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
HHHMMMMM..... Sounds just like the CRCA ultimate rock challenge?
Maybe someone is finally seeing what We have said all along?
What is next? A stock class?
Glad to see we made a positive impact with Our little rockcrawls. CRCA Rock racing since Dec. 1999.

Jeff Knoll
www.californiarockcrawlersassociation.com

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I agree with Camo it should be more like a rally cross event with rocks and open runs, squeezes, etc. makes it more interesting if you vary the terrain.. but still have lots of rocks.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Not to pee in any cornflakes....

I'm all for this type comp and I personally usually do pretty well in this environment but...

When you have a stop watch for best score you get a lot of drivers who are driving beyond (sometimes well beyond) their abilities and they tend to leave the course with some momentum- You've got to keep spectators way way way out in the distance. This does not make for happy spectators either.

I've seen plenty of near misses, there have been people tagged, I've seen drivers helo'd out from their injuries - all speed related.

you can slow the course down with boundaries and tight turns to keep things a little safer.

I just don't want to see injuries which can be avoided- our sport does not need it. Good luck but speed courses can bite you, especially if you're less experienced at promoting them.:(

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
ffej said:
HHHMMMMM..... Sounds just like the CRCA ultimate rock challenge?
Maybe someone is finally seeing what We have said all along?
What is next? A stock class?
Glad to see we made a positive impact with Our little rockcrawls. CRCA Rock racing since Dec. 1999.

Jeff Knoll
www.californiarockcrawlersassociation.com

no what i have in mind is more like a actuall off road desert race that has tradionial rock crawling obstacles mixed in. not just a copy of an arca event with no judges.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Re: Not to pee in any cornflakes....

Go2Guy said:
When you have a stop watch for best score you get a lot of drivers who are driving beyond (sometimes well beyond) their abilities and they tend to leave the course with some momentum- You've got to keep spectators way way way out in the distance. This does not make for happy spectators either.

I've seen plenty of near misses, there have been people tagged, I've seen drivers helo'd out from their injuries - all speed related.

you can slow the course down with boundaries and tight turns to keep things a little safer.
All good points, and on a similar note, the amount of safety gear required for such runs needs to be taken up a notch. Minimum of Snell 85 helmets, proper harnesses, neck braces, and IMO absolutely NO riders. And come to think of it, no reason some cones can't be used in an effort to maintain some control. Doesn't mean I advocate putting cones in such a manner as to make it nearly impossible to negotiate an obstacle. Rather, I'm thinking of marking off 40' wide lanes in the faster sections (particularly on curves). Penalties for sliding out of the lane might keep things more under control.

'Course, we're gettin' away from the rocks more & more with this discussion & that may or may not be the intent of this particular event.

TEX

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Tex I belive it's Snell 95 and I think they have a newer one then that out now.

Think Walker would be any good at desert /rock race? :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Weasel said:
Tex I belive it's Snell 95 and I think they have a newer one then that out now.

Think Walker would be any good at desert /rock race? :flipoff2:
We use Snell 85 as our standard as a lot of guys around here have REALLY old helmets :D

TEX

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
camo said:

no what i have in mind is more like a actuall off road desert race that has tradionial rock crawling obstacles mixed in. not just a copy of an arca event with no judges.

Very cool idea. I would love to run something like that.

Johnson Valley would be an ideal location for an event of this type.

The tough truck type event in phoenix is a mini version of that concept, combining a speed section and obsticals. It is a blast to run in and takes a versital rig to competitive.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
zags said:

Very cool idea. I would love to run something like that.

Johnson Valley would be an ideal location for an event of this type.

Just like the 24hours on the Hammers event a few years back put on by ARB. They set up about 6 hammer trails. Each truck started about one minute apart and the truck with the best time won. There was some high speed driving from one trail to the next!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
We have done this in Chokecherry for two years now. We just did the last one last weekend. It was a blast. You need to talk to Stanley at S&S to find out what he did. It works perfect. We go as fast as we can on the trails and then we have to go an exact controlled speed on the roads in between the trails. This keeps someone from getting run over. Our speed was 23 mph. You got docked for every minute too fast or to slow. It's hard to guess 23 mph w/out a speedo. My rig never takes a beating like this in any comp I've been in. Where was team EPIC this time? Let me know when it is and we will go.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
This is what they did last year at the Superlift park in Hot Springs AK. Im not shure if they are doing it this year or not.

Made for some AWSOME spectator sport.

And for somebody that wants to possibly check it out, as previously posted they are having a comp next weekend.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125536

Dan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts