Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a rock ram setup for my TJ, and have installed the pump and box with intent to install the ram later on. I'm getting crazy amounts of steering whine though. I know you have to bleed the system and I have attempted to do that at least five different times. I've tried doing it all sorts of ways after reading the instructions, talking to other Jeepers, and also talking to AGR. It still sounds like I'm killing a moose though when I turn the wheel. Each time I do try and bleed it though, the fluid does froth up and bubble up. I assume that means I still have air in the system? So is it taking air in somehow, am I not bleeding properly, or could there be something else wrong? I could really use any help on this. I've had this problem for a while now and I'd really like my Jeep to be driveable again.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Snow- they are a pain to bleed. Basically if you have driven it, you have not done yourself any good.

Put the front on jackstands. Keep an eye on the fluid level, crank from lock to lock several times with the motor off. Keep doing this until the fluid level no longer drops in the reservoir.

Yank the coil wire and bump the engine over a couple of revolutions to move fluid into the steering box and burp out an air bubble.

Keep doing this until you get all of the air out. Basically if you start it and the fluid foams at all, you still have air in the system somewhere.

One thing I have found that helps is to use the Valvoline Synthetic powersteering fluid. I have it on relatively good authority to never put any fluid that is red in your steering pump reservoir. Not interested in a challenge on this, but I have paid attention to it and successfully bled several of these systems. The Valvoline has a bunch of anti-foaming agents in it that really help.

Your system will in all likelyhood, still whine under load, that has been my experience with several of these, and the number one reason for that crap coming off of my rig and going back to AGR.

No foam, just noisy and I feel that for the amount of money spent, they shouldn't do that. btw- the one on my rig was custom built for an ARCA competitor and if they can't make that one shut up after the fifth try, whose can they?

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
yes you have air in the system.

mine did the same thing. bleed it and bleed it again.

also on the high pressure end of the pump under the hose fitting there is a pressure relife valve. mine stuck open. take the fitting off and push it in and out with a screw drive to get it to pop free. it fixed mine. i guess from running frothy fluid thru it it stuck open..

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
oh ya mine does not whine at all. perfectly quiet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought,

What about where the hoses for the Rock Ram go into the stering box, do you have these caped off maybe sucking air in their.

Rhino

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
I agree with everything that mrblain and camo said. We are having lots of trouble with the TJ pumps too. We have a kit ready for the boxes but Still having problems with those damm pumps. Try running it with yor stock pump and see how it does. Please let me know what you find out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts